Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel System Problem, or...?

Hi All,

lately my '97 Legacy 2.2 wagon has developed some syptoms that I'm trying to diagnose...I think it's a fuel system issue, but I'm just not sure...

The car starts fine, but after backing out of my driveway, puting the car in gear, and hitting the gas, I've been getting some serious hesitation and loss of power, along with my check engine light coming on. The hesitation and loss of power continues until the car warms up, then seems to subside. I originally thought it was the fuel filter, which I've changed, but although it seemed better for a couple of days, the symptoms were back this morning. My MPG's are definitely down as well...

I should add that I mainly get these systems upon start up in the morning, the car sits all day while I'm at work, but I haven't experienced the issues in the evening. Also, my driveway is on an angle, as an experiment, I've parked overnight on the flat street, which seems to help in the mornings.

I haven't yet taken the car in to have the OBD11 scanned, but will try to do so this weekend, although scanner at my local auto parts store doesn't provide specific codes.

I hope that what I've written makes sense, sometimes things are hard to describe! I wondering if clogged fuel injectors could be the culprits? As always, any thoughts or input will be greatly appreciatted!

Thanks in advance!

jared

doubtful it's a fuel system issue.

get your codes read as soon as possible, that will take all the guess work out of it.

my guess - a cylinder misfire code - which means most likely that your spark plugs and wires need changed. make sure to use NGK plugs and Subaru wires ONLY. as a matter of fact if you've had these items replaced before and they weren't NGK or Subaru, then that is likely the problem. but again...there are plenty of other things it could be, let the computer do the work for you.

some questions - miles, automatic/manual, last tune up, last time the wires/plugs were changed?

Hi. Yes the first step is to get the code(s) read. Every ODBII scanner I've seen shows the Pnnn code and many show the generic ODBII description. The code number is what you want, but if for some reason it only gives the description that may be sufficient.

It is possible to make guesses as to what the issue is, but knowing the code(s) would be much more efficient.

Hi All, thanks for the input thus far, I'll get the codes read this weekend, and see what that tells us.

To answer some of your questions, the car is a 97' Legacy L wgn, 2.2 MT...169,000 mi on the clock. I bought it 3 years ago, and have not changed the plugs or wires since I've had it, or had it "tuned up" although I have done some of the basics like a fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve, radiator flush and fill, etc.

I'll post again on Monday, with results of the scan.

Thanks again for all input/help past and future! Enjoy your weekends!

Hi All, Happy Monday!

Thanks again for all the input, I was able to get a scan done Friday evening, which confirmed a fuel temp sensor code, and a misfire on cylinders 1 and 2...Saturday I was able to get new plugs and wires from my local Subie Dealership, and Sunday they were installed without trouble...needless to say, the car is running much better now, the "check engine " light is out, and I have all of you to thank for that!

The USMB is a great resource, don't know what I'd do without it!

Cheers!