Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat year difference Questions

I know the 1981 Brat was a mix of EA71 and EA81, but what was what? That, and would it be possible to convert a 1980 Brat to an 81 with the EA71/ 81 goodies? I know it's a dumb question but I'd like an 80 Brat due to DOB and all but know the 81's are the best of the Gen 1 years.

nothing wrong with the 80 either. the ea71 is a rock solid dependable motor. its like the difference between a ej18 and a ej22. equal in quality, you just have to wind it up a little more.

but if you wanted to have an ea81 in your 80 brat, it is very possible.

the 81 gl came factory with a ea81 dual range 4 sp.

• 2 weeks later...
spent this past sunday taking out ea 81 from my 81 brat and putting in another ea81 from a 1982 brat. had to make a few minor changes and it did go right in.[/quate]

Hey Lonnie; whats up with the '82 Brat; are you parting it out? I could use a cab top from a rust bucket or otherwise unsalvageable gen 2 Brat. I have an '85 (roll over) with a crushed top. I bought it for parts, but I would like to try and save it.

oops!....don't want to hijack this thread, send me a pm, or skip it if not parting.

worknwood.

77'-80' brat 1600 engine single range trans.

81' brat 1800 engine dual range trans.

82'-87' different body style (The ugly ones)

Just kidding

Well... the 1st gen brat had Character.

the 2nd Gen became utilitarian.

I wouldn't necesarily call them "ugly" maybe bland is a better description. I am just glad that they never took on the EA82 body styling. :clap: