Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Update:

Spent today removing the side windows and all the components from the doors, along with unbolting the last of the hinges/parts from the hood and trunk, and removed (not very successfully) the emissions labels which I was trying to keep (might not considering they were thin metal and are tweaked all to hell now...)

Tommorow i'm going to work on either moving the boxes of parts to a new location and/or documenting each body panel and printing out sheets so I can go over what exactly needs to be done with the car bodywork wise.

After that, I have a few more pieces to some metal work with, then its on to having the windshields removed, and then bodyshop time :)

Pics from today:

ff1day14hoodstillon.jpg

ff1day14hoodnolongeron.jpg

ff1day14rearopen.jpg

ff1day14insidedoor.jpg

ff1day14hoodoff.jpg

ff1day14trunkoff.jpg

Whew, I just worked on removing the little side vent windows on the doors from the window frame, and luckily the window molding came off 100% intact! :banana:

I had to drill out the rivet that held each one on, but thats no big deal since I have a rivet gun to replace them when they get reinstalled...

I love following this thread!

Any plans on sound deadening when you put the car back together?

I was thinking I might put some on the back of the dash panel and behind the door panels, but I don't plan on doing any "permemant" sound deadening. I prefer the hardcore approach :-p

I was thinking I might put some on the back of the dash panel and behind the door panels, but I don't plan on doing any "permemant" sound deadening. I prefer the hardcore approach :-p

This car reminds me a bit of the '70 opel rallye kadette I used to have. No sound deadening whatsoever in that car, all motor and road noise. It wasn't too bad, but seeing as how you've got it down to the nuts and bolts a few pieces of dynamat here and there to reduce the hollow tin can noise wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

-Doug

This car reminds me a bit of the '70 opel rallye kadette I used to have. No sound deadening whatsoever in that car, all motor and road noise. It wasn't too bad, but seeing as how you've got it down to the nuts and bolts a few pieces of dynamat here and there to reduce the hollow tin can noise wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

-Doug

I'm guessing you havent seen my Impreza and its mod list? :lol:

Which 1975 FSM do you have?

Mine says 4.125,that's why I originally posted the other thread.

MSA-105 page 1-7 check it out.

Also,that same manual shows the engines with two port exhaust and mentions the advent of the EA63E for the 4WD on page 4-3

Previous page explains the new two-port heads for 1975.

Which 1975 FSM do you have?

Mine says 4.125,that's why I originally posted the other thread.

MSA-105 page 1-7 check it out.

Also,that same manual shows the engines with two port exhaust and mentions the advent of the EA63E for the 4WD on page 4-3

Previous page explains the new two-port heads for 1975.

I don't actually have the 75 FSM, havent spotted one for sale yet. I have the 74 and 76 USDM supplements.

Sounds like I need the 75 FSM though...

Me too.

It's here,I can send it along real soon. Didn't you win that woodgrain vent from me on eBay? I've got that boxed and ready. Send an extra $5 and I'll send that '75 manual along. It's in great shape,BTW.

Pardon the hijack.

Oh gosh,Galen you want the manual I have for $5 rather than that one for $15+ :rolleyes:

Steve,I probably have another in my buried stock of mannies....don't waste your money ,they show up cheaper than that one you listed.

don't waste your money ,they show up cheaper than that one you listed.

If it was a better price AND better shape I would have bought it... But yes, thats WAY too expensive (i've been buying the ones that are <$10 including shipping) AND in good shape.

OK now the real deal begins.

We wish you well,and hope for the best.

But,at this point you are at the very meaning of the words "basket case".

Good luck. Too many projects lay in boxes. I'm sure several older guys here will attest to that.

Me,I'm going on my 20th year of my Ducati restoraion. :lol: But raising a family is more important. Kids are straight A students. So my MAIN PROJECT is a success.

Go get 'em !

Alright, I think i'm going to try and remove the windshields myself...

The FSM just shows that you need to use a "window cord" to loosen the window gaskets from inside. Anyone have any tips on that, or where to find the proper cord?

Moosens: Ya, I plan on this project taking quite awhile... But I don't have a family to worry about right now and I have plenty of time, so this project gets to be my #1 goal for the foreseeable future :-p

Right now, I'm thinking its going to go easier than I expected, minus two or three small problems I didn't anticipate (the bearings in the front and rear suspension crossmembers, the front control arm bushings are toast, and one rear suspension bushing is toast and rusted onto the bolt). But everything now is going to depend on how the whole body work experience goes...

Probably sits in a seal. Its going to be hard as a rock and needs to be replaced, duh so you can actually cut it out instead of trying to save the seal. The seal can be cut from the inside around where it rolls over the pinch weld and lifted out of the front of the car. Having a couple if friends is handy to help take it out instead of having just you or you and one other person trying to lift it out while someone else puts pressure from the inside after its cut.:rolleyes:

if you are going to destroy the seal anyway, an easier way of cutting the seal is by first making a hole in the seal, threading a length of steel piano wire through it, tie the ends around pieces of wood and use the steel wire to "saw" through the seal

keep someone ready to catch the glass when it's cut free.

Can you still get a seal for an FF-1? There are no more left for the 360, so I had to leave the glass in when I painted it. But if you can get a new seal just cut it with a utility knife. If you are going to try to get it out and save it good luck it's probably rock solid.

Can you still get a seal for an FF-1?

Nope.

Its not in too bad of shape, and doesnt feel "rock hard" but its probably not going to stay in one piece...

If It can't be removed without saving the molding, it would leave only two options:

1) Have some sort of custom molding made (glue?)

2) Custom Race-style lexan windshields like on this Fiat:

front4.jpg

You might be able to find another seal that would work. There is some universal stuff out there too. Probably your best bet would be to cut the seal and save the glass if you have to get the windshield out.

I would think that its a pretty standard seal setup for that time period...

But yes, the windshields do have to come out. The next place its going is to the sandblaster/mediablaster (can't keep the windows in for that for sure)