Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 71 engine rebuild help

Hi all historic subaru enthusiasts,

I have a 78 Brat with an ea71. I ran a compression test this past weekend, and it seems I have a bad valve on cylinder 4. I'm going to have to pull the engine to pull the head, as my frame rails are too close to the engine from a previous accident. I figure while I have the engine out, I might as well do the valve seals some of them leak, and replace the oilpan gasket which also leaks.

That is my starting point and as projects go, who knows what else will be needed till I get into it.

Im curious if I should get an engine stand, or just work on it on a work bench or hanging from a hoist?

I found several places on line that have gasket sets and valve seals, but I havent been able to fnd any rings. Does anyone know if rings are still available for the ea71?

Any advice on tracking down a servicible distributor?

Thanks for the help,

Brian

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I might have to track down a copy of this "how to keep your subaru alive" book. The thought of rebuilding an engine with the Chiltons manual I have is enough to give me nightmares.

Thanks for the tips guys! I think I might have to track down a copy of this "how to keep your subaru alive" book. The thought of rebuilding an engine with the Chiltons manual I have is enough to give me nightmares.

Factory manuals on eBay all the time. Plenty cheap.

Never had the How To....book and most likely never will. :cool: