Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4.11 dual range please!!

awesomedude

Oh..ok i guess i'm just confused now lol,too many damn models and numbers and ratios and crap to remember here:-\

yea, the EJ D/R trans isn't all that special. only difference is the bell housing. you could make an identical trans with an EA bellhousing by combining the front half of the case, low range and 1-R-2 gearset from an RX trans with the 3-5 gearset, center diff/housing, and front diff (pinion and ring gear aswell) from an EJ one.

that would get you the lower axle ratio, and you could put the 1.59:1 low range gearset in there aswell (although you'd probably have to modify the ring gear to clear the low range gears), but you'd lose the locking center diff.

well, since we are all made of money here, why not use an sti center diff? you can technically " lock " it into a 50-50 split, as well as possibly rigging it to do a front wheel/ 4 wheel drive option with the e brake trick....... just a thought... and incase anyone doesnt know, the sti center diff has this cool little feature where you pull the e brake, and it electronically dissconects the center diff and transfers all power to the front wheels...... just rig in a switch so it thinks the e brake is pulled, flip the switch, you got 4wd, flip it the other way, you got fwd........ expensive, but could work.......

well, since we are all made of money here, why not use an sti center diff? you can technically " lock " it into a 50-50 split, as well as possibly rigging it to do a front wheel/ 4 wheel drive option with the e brake trick....... just a thought... and incase anyone doesnt know, the sti center diff has this cool little feature where you pull the e brake, and it electronically dissconects the center diff and transfers all power to the front wheels...... just rig in a switch so it thinks the e brake is pulled, flip the switch, you got 4wd, flip it the other way, you got fwd........ expensive, but could work.......

can.....open.....worms........EVERYWHERE!!!! :lol:

yes, sti DCCD (driver controlled center diff) would be sweet. BUT, 6MT internals are not interchangeable with 5MT stuff. 6MT rear axle ratio is 3.9, and I believe the transfer gear makes the front a 3.545 or something like that. and the stock DCCD controller needs the STi harness in it's entirety to work, or you'll be buying an aftermarket one.

the cost of using a DCCD is on a different planet than having a 4.444 EA pinion gear

would get you the lower axle ratio, and you could put the 1.59:1 low range gearset in there aswell (although you'd probably have to modify the ring gear to clear the low range gears), but you'd lose the locking center diff.

Yeah that is a possibility i guess,although i want everything:-p

Really for me the locking center is one thing that is necessary..and therefor holding back the whole idea lol.

the reason i suggested the sti center diff is because i have first hand experience with mounting one to a 5mt from a wrx, and also mounting one up to a 5mt for a 2.5rs, so i know it works with the 5mt stuff..... my buddy has been running one on his obs for about 2 years now, and he has a 5mt...... so i dont see why it wouldnt work........