Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pricing for Outback Legacy with reconstructed title?

Anyone have an idea what percentage to knock off the price of a '99 Outback Legacy because of its reconstructed title? The seller told me upfront that it had been reconstructed (he's asking exactly the Edmunds.com price), how much should I offer him assuming everything checks out with the mechanic? I'm planning on driving it until it dies, so resale value isn't a concern....

Any help is appreciated!

Well it depends on how good of a Job he did on it. Find out where all the damage was, Ask if ther is any filler in it, make sure all the line Line up.

Most builders will not ask edmonds price! I never have... I have gotten close to the price on an older car 90 - 94 But when i finished with the car it was better than most on the road of those years ( new tires, brakes, timming belts and seal, Antifreeze, oil change, tans fluid flush, axles and struts ) I sold a 98 the other day repaired in front only for 1,700 less than edmonds and it had no filler in it at all... I wouldnt give him book unless he has done all the things i have mentiond and you cant tell by looking that it has been hit, and has only been hit in front of the shock towers....

and I Still wouldnt give him book maybee 250 or more less than book, but it would have to be nice....

Are you neer Knoxville i might Know who the seller is? Pm me your # and i will call you and tell you more.

I have a 98 impreza L that the KBB value is like 7300. Thats with a "fair condition" which it assigned because the car runs and drives like new but was rear ended and rebuilt

The only place you can see the repair evidence is in the spare tire well, the curve isnt perfect. But walking by it on the street or loading groceries in the trunk it looks perfect. You can only see things when you yank the trunk carpeting.

Oh, and I am getting like 5995 for the car so 1300 less than book value which I feel is a number fair for both me and the buyer

Talk to a bank!

Ask them what they will loan you on it? There is a reason they don't like to loan much money on them. I have been told that you should be paying around 60% of LOW BOOK! (no one will ever sell one this low).

The title is marked that way for a reason. Restored/rebuilt vehicles are quirky they are never the same.

Restored cars will not crumple the same in a crash.

I've had several. I'm currently still driving one, I've had for 8 years. It's a great vehicle but quirky!

BE REAL CAREFULL!

I wouldn't pay more than %70 of book for a reconstructed/salvage title car. Your resale will be crap. Depending on how well the body/subframe parts were damaged and how well they were repaired, crumple zones will not work as effectively. I have owned a few salvage title cars. its a gamble, often a good gamble, but if the seller wants anywhere near book price for the car, he shouldn't be selling one with a crap title. If you are going to pay that much, go down to Joe Bob's used cars and buy one that hasn't been wrecked.