Ultimate Subaru Message Board

End link replacement procedure?

Hi All,

I need to replace the end links on my 97 legacy wgn this weekend, and while it looks and sounds simple, can anyone explain the proceedure?

What I'm wondering is if the car should be on jackstands with the wheels removed? Will everything line up for reassembly, or will I have to use a jack or something to raise the control arms to make this possible?

Any input would be greatly appreciatted, thanks in advance!

Jared

jack the vehicle up.....you really dont have to remove the wheels but it may make it easier...as long as the weight of the vehicle is off the ground than its pretty straight forward....unbolt the old and bolt in the new....while you are under there i would also do the sway bar bushings.:) :) :)

That's a pretty easy job. You need 12mm and 14mm I think it is wrenches. Soak the nuts with penetrating oil to make them easier to get off.

If you do it with wheels off the ground, I would lift the whole front under the front jacking plate. This way there is little force on the stabilizer bar and getting the new links in will be easy. If one wheel is off the ground it makes it harder to get the bar to line up with the link.

Any nuts you remove are captive and should be replaced with new; they are good for one use only. Though plenty of people just reuse them without issue. Or maybe use some loctite on them.

When you go to torque the fasteners, the vehicle is supposed to be with all wheels on the ground.

control-arm-00obw-bushings.gif

Use ramps if you have them.

Make sure you put the big washer in the right place or the bushing will get pulled out of the endlink. It needs to go on the opposite side of the swaybar.

Hey are you the person who e-mailed me about the endlinks I have? Because they're in storage and I haven't mailed them yet.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the input thus far, it's been a great help....to answer some of your questions, and raise a few new ones of my own...yes, it's the front endlinks that I need to do.

I do have ramps, and think I'll go that route, I take it that as long as the both sides of the car are level, it won't put pressure on either side that could cause an issue with reassembly?

Next, forgive my ignorance, but I'm at the office and away from my Chilton's...are the sway bar bushings the rubber donut looking things that separate/ protect the end links from the metal brackets the end links are bolted to?

Do end link sets come with new bolts and washers, or will I have to buy those separately?

Please let me know! Thank again!

Hey Jamal, yes, i was the one that emailed you about the end links that you have...but I didn't want to be a pain, have been noticing a slight drop in my MPG's and was starting to worry about tire wear, as well as driving in rain, sleet, and snow here in MD, so I was just going to go ahead and pick up a new set...if it's not too much of a hassle for you to get to your storage unit and mail those out, please drop me an email! Thanks!

I do have ramps, and think I'll go that route, I take it that as long as the both sides of the car are level, it won't put pressure on either side that could cause an issue with reassembly?
Right, on the ones I have done as long as both wheels are at the same level there is no problem getting everything to line up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are the sway bar bushings the rubber donut looking things that separate/ protect the end links from the metal brackets the end links are bolted to?
Right on yes they are. They have different color dots i.e. purple on them corresponding to sway bar diameter, though all my sway bars are so rusty i never see any color on them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do end link sets come with new bolts and washers, or will I have to buy those separately?
OEM end links probably don't come with any hardware. The whiteline sets I've gotten all come with all new hardware.

OEM endlinks are also expensive. MSRP is $53 each. I need to drop off some stuff so I'll get those links this afternoon and send them tonight.

And no swaybar bushings are not near the endlink. They're wrapped around the swaybar where it attaches to the crossmember. I have some of those too but they're 20mm (from a 97GT) and I think your front bar is 18.

I have to say thanks to both of you for the pictures.

They sure help us in the visualization of the components.

I also have to say thank you both

for having the common sense

to resize the pictures as to not

blow over the screen width.

That is quite irritating -- for me anyways.

And I have to say "thanks!" again for all the help and input!

Of course, I'm now wondering what's involved in replacing the bushings? From the last picture, it looks as though I'd simply loosen the bolts and remove the bracket the bushing is inside of?

jamal, that would rock...I'll drop you an email with my address, thanks!

Yes thanks for the pic jamal! Those bushings are nice, and well greased! What kind are they?

I'm now wondering what's involved in replacing the bushings?
Yes you just remove the bolt holding that bracket in place, the bracket comes down and then slips off (it's a tab on the other end). Then you just pull off the old bushing and put on the new bushing. If your bushings come with grease make sure to apply liberally to help avoid squaking.

They're whiteline polyurethane bushings, hence the need for the grease. Combined with the endlinks it make a HUGE difference.

Whiteline's part numbering system is this:

W0404-[mm] - 1st gen Impreza and Legacy front

W0405-[mm] - 2nd+ gen Impreza and Legacy front

W0404-[mm] - 90-99 Legacy, pre-04 Impreza rear

W0406-[mm] - 04-07 Impreza rear

Not sure what 00+ Legacies use for rear bushings.

racecomp engineering and turn in concepts should both be able to get them. It's like $15 a pair.

My front swaybar and endlinks do get fairly clunky and need to be greased every few months.

jclay- I have the links in front of me, they seem to be in good shape. I'll have them shipped tomorrow.

Few details on the install: torque to about 32 lb-ft, with the car on the ground/ramps, and but some blue loctite on the threads. That will keep them from clunking or coming loose. A bit of grease or anti-seize between the bolt and bushing sleeve would be good too.