Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I replaced the driveshaft on my wifes 99 impreza 2.2L coupe auto trans no abs.

The driveshaft could not be removed from the knukle. Normally I just back off the nut flush with the face of the cv shaft and tap it till it starts to move.

Not this one!!!!:mad: After much PB and time I took the knukle off the car set it up so I could hit it with a 16 lbs sledge!:eek: I was not able to remove the shaft from the kunkle. Had to go to a bone yard and buy a knukle. This has never happened to me before. I've done hundreds of driveshafts and have was always been able to get these out. What gives has anyone else out there had this expereince? Any ideas on getting it out? The bearings I'm sure are shot ( I hit this thing HARD many times) but the knukle looks useable.

nipper, I was considering heat at the time but was afraid that the bearings would have been damaged. Like I said at this point the bearings are junk any way so it doesn't matter but you think heat would have been ok to use. I was surprised at the time because this had never happened to me before. Just lucky:rolleyes: I guess. Thanks nipper

It's rusted into the hub. Water may have gotten in there somehow and corroded it. It's surprising how little rust it takes to make it nearly impossible to separate them. Coat the new axle splines with grease or antisieze to make it easier to get out if it needs to come out again.

Thanks porc, It's hard to see how water can get in there but I'm sure it can.

I use anti-seize on everything that doesn't require something eles. Works better than grease. Even use it where the wheel contacts the flange on the hub. After I work on it doesn't rust together.Ever.:)