Ultimate Subaru Message Board

P0302-cylinder-2-misfire-detected

P0302-cylinder-2-misfire-detected

This popped up yesterday noon, along with a flashing CEL and obvious missing. Wow, I said, looky there, willya. Since I reset a P0420 about every week or so, I always have my code reader on my utility belt. So I took the #2 plug wire off the coil pack and the boot was full of black carbon stuff and the coil terminal was black. All the other coil terminals were nice and shiny and clean. Cleaned out the #2 wire boot and polished up the coil terminal a little bit, squeezed the metal connector inside the boot a bit so it would fit tighter, reset the code and all is well. But it's time for new wires and plugs, anyway. I ordered NGK wires and plugs. I chose the cheap plugs - NGK BKR6E-11, $1.99 ea.

Would it have been worth the extra money to spring for NGK PFR6B-11 at $12.54 each?

I guess we guess the car again

If it's an EJ25 powered car

you will find the spark plugs a bit of a pain to change.

You might want to opt for the good ones so they

last longer.

Good luck, most folks go for OEM or

Magnacore wires on these EJ25s

as they seem somewhat sensitive to sp.pl wires.

I guess we guess the car again

If it's an EJ25 powered car

you will find the spark plugs a bit of a pain to change.

You might want to opt for the good ones so they

last longer.

Good luck, most folks go for OEM or

Magnacore wires on these EJ25s

as they seem somewhat sensitive to sp.pl wires.

Sorry about that - it's a 2000 Outback wagon, EJ25, SOHC, 4EAT. Thanks for the response.

I JUST did the plugs/wires on my '00 Outback 5 days ago. I used the factory replacement wires and it runs like a champ! I have heard the same about using non-OEM wires...please report back with results! And what did you pay for the NGKs? Because my OEMs were $76.

I have also heard that the performance increase of the more expensive plugs is negligible. Expecially in our cars.

Let us know what happens!

I just got NGK laser platinum plugs FR5AP-11 for my GF's 2006 Impreza 2.5 today. That's what the dealer's computer said her car needed.

They were under 8 bucks each. I'll have to figure out just what 'laser' has to do with it.

On the dealer's computer it says they are to be changed every 30k. Seems awful frequent for a platinum plug. Her car is pushing 50k. Not looking like a real fun job. I may wait on warmer weather.

I've used some NGK Iridium plugs on other cars. Remember when plugs were cheap and often easy to replace?

Dave

On that era one reason Subaru recommended shorter plug change intervals was to help prevent spark plugs from siezing in the cylinder head, which is/was somewhat common on vehicles saying 'dont worry dude, plugs good for 100,000 miles..oh by the way you'll be out of warranty when you need to change them.'

I'm a big anti-sieze guy. Comes from all those old VW Beetles that I have. The whole dis-similar metals thing.

No anti-seize is just like over tightening oil filters and oil plugs to me. No reason for it.

Consensus is change them at 50k or so and anit-seize than another 50-75k?

Dave

I JUST did the plugs/wires on my '00 Outback 5 days ago. I used the factory replacement wires and it runs like a champ! I have heard the same about using non-OEM wires...please report back with results! And what did you pay for the NGKs? Because my OEMs were $76.

I have also heard that the performance increase of the more expensive plugs is negligible. Expecially in our cars.

Let us know what happens!

Those NGK wires were $46.22 at drivewire.com. The stuff is being shipped to me now. Looking back, I probably should have gotten the more expensive stuff, but since this is on the way I'll go ahad and use it. I'll let you know how it works out. Any tips on access to the plugs?

I went with the Subaru OEM plug wire set SOA430Q119 for my '00obw, it was $37. I had no issues with any wires not being long enough?

Note that if you apply antisieze to the spark plug threads, I have seen in the soob service manual it says to reduce torque by 1/3.

Replacing plugs on the phase II 2.5L sohc's is not that difficult. At least not compared to some of the other vehicles with transverse mount engines on the road today! Good luck with those. That's why they have to say 100,000 mile plug intervals, so the warranty is up when they need to be changed, since some need engine rocking to get at them all.

looks like they left them in the center making them harder to get to, just like the DOHC.

No, look again.

The plugs on the SOHC 2.5 are above the center line of the head quite a bit, and angle up. They are not as far towards the top, or as steeply angled as the 2.2, but are basically the in the same spot. The similarity to the DOHC 2.5 is that the plugs are *inside* valve cover, sealed by tubes.

The DOHC 2.5 the plugs are dead center between the 2 camshafts, on the centerline of the head. And very much blocked by the framerails on the car