Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

99 OBW Rear Caliper.....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 01 January 2004 - 09:31 PM

Does anyone know the Subaru part number for the rear brake caliper bleeder screw? I have talked to two dealers and they both insist that the screws are 26238AE000. That is the correct number for the front calipers. The front screws have an 8mm hex on them, the rear screws have a 10mm hex on them.

They are getting pretty rusty and need to be replaced.

Thanks,

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  • Texas

Posted 01 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

Perfect time to consider Speed Bleeders.

for instance(near the bottom);

http://www.pdm-racin...aru_corner.html

#3 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 02 January 2004 - 06:55 AM

Thanks Carl!

I may consider those if I can't find the Subaru part. I have a mity vac brake bleeder so doing them by myself isn't an issue.

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,563 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 02 January 2004 - 07:24 PM

Not sure if you can buy just the bleeder screw. They'll probably charge you an arm & leg for them...

#5 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 02 January 2004 - 09:26 PM

I bought the 26238AE000 for $2.46 each.

My friend's legacy wagon calls for 26239AA010 in the rear (drums). They are $8.72 each!!! I wonder if they will fit.

On a side note, does anyone know what comes in the caliper rebuild kits from Subaru? If those kits have the bleeders then I will just buy those. The calipers are getting tired, and they are about $150 each.

#6 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:04 PM

I have confirmation from my friend that the 26239AA010 has a 10mm hex on it. I am going to order them next time I order parts. I will post when I get them.

#7 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:59 PM

I drove the outback today and the rear brakes are not working very well. The pads and rotors are fine. Based on what the calipers looked like the last time I looked I am pretty sure that they either need to be rebuilt or replaced.

Does anyone know what parts come in Subaru's caliper overhaul kit? $18.71

Has anyone had experience with rebuilt calipers from internet or retail sources.

The calipers from 1stsubaruparts are $173.19 each.

#8 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,563 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:34 PM

rebuild kits come with new rubber boots, seals that go inside the caliper and grease. If the seals are the problem, the rebuild kit should be ok. If you have scarring on the piston then you'll need new pistons....or pretty much new calipers

#9 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:49 PM

I think the bendix rebuilt calipers from carparts.com for $41.70 are looking interesting. I hesitate to buy non-OEM but I have had pretty good luck with bendix. I can buy four for each OEM. I have had pretty good luck with parts store rebuilt calipers in the past. Hmmmmmm.

I am not so sure about rebuilding the ones that are on there. Sounds like another never ending PITA project waiting to happen. ;)

#10 tcspeer

tcspeer

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • Walnut Springs

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:45 PM

If it was me I would buy the Bendix. Rubber dust boots are tough to get in on my 97 2.2 I run without them. The life of a rubber dust boot on a car used for mail del. is about one year, the intense heat destorys them in a hurry. I have not had any problems running without them, it is no problem to blow piston out and put new seal in. Also I have never had to replace piston. This is with 279,000 miles with around 475 hiways stops each day.

#11 mike golin

mike golin

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • massachusetts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:12 PM

you cant get away without using the dust seals up north due to the salt and humidity . the pistons will rust and chew up the seal in no time .
i have had good luck with CPI rebuilts and bendix.

#12 rallynutdon

rallynutdon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Reading PA

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:33 PM

I've hardly ever had a problem with reusing the pistions. Clean them up good with croacus cloth (very fine emery paper) and you should be okay. If you need another rear piston I may have a good used you I can sell you cheap.

#13 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 30 March 2004 - 05:41 PM

Thanks Don, I will keep that in mind.

#14 SevenSisters

SevenSisters

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 512 posts
  • Cleve/Akron Ohio

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

E gads! Running without dust boots will get you about a week in the heavily salted Snow Belt. Texas must be nice with respect to rust.

The Bendix rebuilds are probably OE factory calipers someone else turned in with new rubber and lube installed. I haven’t needed to replace them on the ‘ru, but had good luck with rebuilds on an ’85 Toyota truck. Might want to clean ’em up and paint them before installation.

Loaded calipers are another option worth looking at, depending on the pads they put in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users