Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is our only car. I just replaced the transmission with one from a 94 legacy with a little over 100k on it,(wrecked in front). The fluid is clean and red with no smell. The transmission engages a little harsh but shifts smoothly, makes a light grinding noise in neutral. After an hour or so of working fine, it acts like it simply is out of gear. You have to stop, put it in park, turn it off, restart, and select drive and it will take off again like normal, but now it will randomly come out of gear and you have to stop and do the process all over again. It is really annoying.

Aamco said the "lipseals" are leaking and it needs to be rebuilt.

If you accelerate at wide open throttle after the restart process, it holds strong in every gear until 90mph or so (traffic gets in the way). it never slips it either holds strong or has nothing.

I cant afford the rebuild, and dont feel it needs one.

Looking for any suggestions, similar experiences, diagnostic help or rigs to get buy with. AWD works fine doesnt bind. ABS light comes on some times but works fine as well.

No offense to your mechanical aptitude, but are you sure the shift lever is adjusted correctly? I had to re-adjust mine when I replaced it. It sounds like it's slipping out of gear...not actually the tranny slipping.

And your rear diff was swapped too, correct? The '91 is a 4.11; the '94 is 3.90.

Good luck.

None taken, what is the proper procedure for that adjustment, is it by feel or is there a specific measure.

Would that cause the light grinding noise? I agree it does seem to be coming out of gear and not "slipping".

Driving it in FWD doesnt solve the problem. I made one trip (50 miles) in FWD, would this hurt the trans or drivetrain in any way I wouldnt think so.

I can use my 91 front diff. right?

Thanks for the thought I'll see if an adjustment will help.

None taken, what is the proper procedure for that adjustment, is it by feel or is there a specific measure.

The adjustment might be covered on here somewhere and I'm sure there's a 'procedure'... but I did it 'by feel'.

Would that cause the light grinding noise? I agree it does seem to be coming out of gear and not "slipping".

Sorry, don't know.

Driving it in FWD doesnt solve the problem. I made one trip (50 miles) in FWD, would this hurt the trans or drivetrain in any way I wouldnt think so.

I've read pros/cons using the FWD mode, but mostly it's frowned upon. And wouldn't see how that would affect the transmission's shifting.

I can use my 91 front diff. right?

Not sure we're on the same page re: the differentials: The front diff is built-in to the tranny (axles attach to the tranny) and would be geared for a 4.11 on the '91, which means the rear diff must also be 4.11. The '94 is 3.9 front and rear. So, you can't mix a '94 Tranny/front diff w/a '91 rear diff.

Not sure we're on the same page re: the differentials: The front diff is built-in to the tranny (axles attach to the tranny) and would be geared for a 4.11 on the '91, which means the rear diff must also be 4.11. The '94 is 3.9 front and rear. So, you can't mix a '94 Tranny/front diff w/a '91 rear diff.

I understand, I want to remove the 91 front diff. from my 91 trans. and install it on my 94 trans. That is if the front diff. just bolts on.

Yes I made the mistake of not getting the diff. , but i'd also like to keep the 4.11 gear.

Again thanks for your help

I understand, I want to remove the 91 front diff. from my 91 trans. and install it on my 94 trans. That is if the front diff. just bolts on.

Yes I made the mistake of not getting the diff. , but i'd also like to keep the 4.11 gear.

Again thanks for your help

As WTDASH mentioned, you cannot mix gear ratios in an all wheel drive or four wheel drive car. If you do you WILL get a grinding noise and some nasty results. The 91 is a 4:11, the 94 trans is a 3:90. Replacing the front gear ratio to match the rear is not an option. Replace the rear to match the front is much more logical.

Mike

As WTDASH mentioned, you cannot mix gear ratios in an all wheel drive or four wheel drive car. If you do you WILL get a grinding noise and some nasty results. The 91 is a 4:11, the 94 trans is a 3:90. Replacing the front gear ratio to match the rear is not an option. Replace the rear to match the front is much more logical.

Mike

Actually it is very possible to swap gear ratios in a 4eat. You just have to swap the whole pinion shaft with the front diff that matches. The ring and pinion are matched sets.

I use 3.9 gears from a legacy in my 89 GL Turbo, which was originally 3.7.

Actually it is very possible to swap gear ratios in a 4eat. You just have to swap the whole pinion shaft with the front diff that matches. The ring and pinion are matched sets.

I use 3.9 gears from a legacy in my 89 GL Turbo, which was originally 3.7.

Sorry, I didn't mean you could not do it. I just meant that it seems that it would be alot easier to switch the rear differential than to dissassemble the front transaxle.

Best,

Mike

the "grinding in neutral" probably concerns me the most.

what i would be interested to know is if you unplug the transmission wiring harness, how does it drive? there are two plugs i believe...or maybe just one, to the transmission.

if you unplug those completely the transmission will run in mechanical mode and bypass all electronics. by default it runs in 3rd gear so it's completely gutless and slow at take off - but it runs and drives fine and can run up to 60...70 mph highway speeds just fine since it's in 3rd gear.

the only bad thing is that your 4WD will be permanently "locked" and you'll notice binding around turns...particularly tight turns. but i've driven a few hundred miles and a few months of daily driving like that with no problems at all.

i eventually installed a switch to just power the Duty C solenoid to "unlock" the 4WD thereby giving me the benefits of both worlds. the trans would rarely shift out of first - so unplugging it made it completely reliable as a daily driver, and the switch kept me out of 4WD...unless i needed it!

something to try at least to get your by or possibly give some more information about the trans. if it really is the "lip seals" then the problem should still show itself by unplugging i would think.

what year/model is the car and what year/model did the trans come out of?

used transmissions are easy to find cheap and in general they're reliable so they're a good option. sorry you got hosed this time, i'm sure that leaves a bad taste, but that's usually a good way to go. i got one last fall with 100,00 miles for $150 and 6 month warranty - runs and shifts great.

good luck, trans problems are very annoying, hang tough.