Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Various L Series Q's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Esky

Esky

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Australia

Posted 03 January 2004 - 09:09 AM

Just got an '85 GL 4WD Sedan, and have two questions:

1. Do all RX Turbo models come with a rear LSD? I'm assuming the LSD will simply bolt onto my propshaft....

2. I've heard that later model L series were full time 4WD. Is this true? If so, is it simply a different transfer case, or some form of viscous coupling?

Cheers,
-Esky

#2 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 03 January 2004 - 12:27 PM

Hi Esky, welcome!

1. They do in the states and probably worldwide.
You didn't mention if you car is a auto or 5 speed trans or if it has a turbo. There are two different ratios, the turbos and autos are 3.7, the manual, non-turbos are 3.9. The RX is 3.7, if yours is 3.9 you can swap the slug from the RX into you case, there is a great write up on this elswhere on the board.

2. '87 to '89 there was a Full Time 4 wheel drive 5 speed available, dual range in the RX, single range in all others. The transmission is a self contained unit using a mechanical center differential with a vacuum operated locking collar to lock the center diff like a 4wd. On hard surfaces you would run with the diff unlocked or locked on loose surfaces.
There was also a Full Time, 4 speed auto (4EAT) trans available from '88 to '91, available in some turbo cars and some N/A XT's. These us a electronic/computer controlled clutch pack to connect the front and rear.

This information is USA specific, may very by location:-)

Cheers!

#3 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 03 January 2004 - 12:36 PM

In 89 the RXs did have an automatic option, but Subaru, to the best of my knowledge, never installed a LSD rear diff with an automatic tranny. So that may be the only instance of a RX without a LSD rear diff.

#4 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 03 January 2004 - 03:52 PM

Also in '89, the GL-10 4WD models came standard with LSDs. I'm pretty sure, but not certain, that LSDs were standard even with the auto tranny. Can someone confirm/deny?

#5 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 January 2004 - 04:07 PM

Sorry W.O. they did not have LSD, as the Doc pointed out.
I have an 89 GL-10 FT4EAT w/o LSD, I wondered about this when I got mine, he set me on the path to correctness.
Now the standard (read manual tranny) models did get the LSD standard, also as said by "the Doc".

#6 Esky

Esky

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Australia

Posted 03 January 2004 - 11:24 PM

Cheers for all the info!

Firstly, the car's a carby fed, 5 speed manual. Rear LSD sounds good, and I'll probably pick one up and do the rear disc brake conversion at the same time.

Does the RX have different gear ratios as well as the diff ratio??

Also, how difficult would it be to install the centre diff into my car (if I could locate one), and would it be worth it? At current I just drive it in FWD unless it pisses with rain or I hit the dirt - this is fine, except it tends to lift the inside wheel when cornering (which should be cured as soon as I invest some money in suspension...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users