Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front to rear same side. If you have a full sized spare add that to the mix of one side.

i usually do it once in the fall and once in the spring, but nmow that im driving less then 10,000 miles a year i just do it in the fall.

nipper

How often should the tires be rotated? and what tire goes where?[...]
Radial tire belt separation used to be a problem, and it was suggested that you not reverse the direction of rotation once the tires were in service for any significant time. What Nipper said was the "norm", and I still like to stick with that approach. Most wear differences occur front versus rear (not so much side to side, unless there are alignment problems), so front/back rotation evens out the majority of the problem.

However, unless the tires are "directional", it's considered acceptable to cross-rotate current-production tires.

See http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43 and decide for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

I often wonder why Subaru and Toyota both recommend rotating front/rear, but not left/right. Their factory tires are not directional for my 96 OBW and 2004 Camry. Trying to achieve more even wear, I always cross-rotate every 5000 - 7500 miles. This also includes my 90 Nissan Maxima. Never had any problems with my non-directional tires. I just bought a 2009 Camry and will need to make a decision in about 5 months. Anyone has additional comments about whether we can/should cross-rotate non-directional tires?