Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Case

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pearlm30

pearlm30

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Tampa, FL/ Bethlehem, PA

Posted 24 August 2008 - 08:53 PM

I found a wrecked 98 Forester at a local junk yard( pick and pull) and I need the 4EAT trany. A friend and I accidently cracked and broke one of the holes that bolted to the engine( with the pin) during removal..
Is this going to affect anything? Is the trany trashed? Pictures are in my photos in the header above .The broken hole is located below the starter.
Any advice?
Thanks

#2 McDave

McDave

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • Highland Lakes, Texas

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

Had the donor car been in an accident? If so where was it hit? I'm inclined to believe it was already cracked and just happened to fall apart when you removed the tranny, but then I wasn't there to see what happened.

If the tranny wasn't damaged in a bad accident, it will probably be fine as long as you tap the dowel pin into the engine block, and then if you don't end up with a bunch of up and down play in the tranny once it's mated to the block - before tightening the bolts or TQ. Worth a shot, imo.

#3 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

Those are just alignment pins. Enough of the hole looks to be there to serve the puposes of alignment. They do nothing once the bolts are tightened down.

GD

#4 pearlm30

pearlm30

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 341 posts
  • Tampa, FL/ Bethlehem, PA

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:02 AM

The donor was hit in the front, engine and trany was pushed inward about half inch since the trany mount was pushed back a little.
I guess the dowel pin hole broken could be caused by the accident, good to hear it has little or no affect on the installation.
I will keep everyone updated.
Thanks

Had the donor car been in an accident? If so where was it hit? I'm inclined to believe it was already cracked and just happened to fall apart when you removed the tranny, but then I wasn't there to see what happened.

If the tranny wasn't damaged in a bad accident, it will probably be fine as long as you tap the dowel pin into the engine block, and then if you don't end up with a bunch of up and down play in the tranny once it's mated to the block - before tightening the bolts or TQ. Worth a shot, imo.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,749 posts
  • WV

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:36 AM

i've seen this happen before when removing an engine/trans, i wouldn't worry much about it either if it's just essentially cracked and/or a small piece missing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users