Ultimate Subaru Message Board

83 GL front springs?

inski

Subaru doesn't have them anymore. Been discontinued according to the Subaru of New England parts guy.

Is there a suitable substitute? I'll do struts and springs if I know of a workable combo. I wanted to keep the factory front struts because of the adjustable perches (Subaru still stocks those), but if I can't find springs that will fit in there I'll do struts and mounts too. right now my GL suspesion is cranked all the way up front and rear.

Forester Springs? Forester springs and struts?

Its way too mushy right now. I'd like to stiffen the ride, its pretty roly-poly and squishy.

Thanks for any help.:cool:

Why would you replace the springs? Are they broken or rusty or something?

They generally are not something you replace unless they are damaged. They are not wear items and their spring rate doesn't change over time in appreiciable degree.

As far as the adjustable struts - Monroe makes them and Autozone carries a house brand that has adjustable lower perch. There's no need to buy the dealer items on that account. I'm all for dealer parts of course, but in the specific case of struts I would take a new Monroe over a Subaru stock item that's been on a shelf for 20 years.

GD

Yeah, they are a tad pricey. But they are some of the best you can get for that model year.

Not adjustable Rob. Agreed they are nice, but they are the same as the one's KYB sells for 2WD applications. They will lower the front a bit and aren't adjustable. I had a set a long time ago and found this out the hard way.

GD

There are strut cartridges and then the springs are around and thru them.

If they dont have springs anymore used it is.

If they dont have struts anymore I recommend aftermarket like the KYB or Monroe parts available most anywhere. The height adjusters are kindof overrated. I never move mine and they just rust in place over time anyway.

The height adjusters are kindof overrated. I never move mine and they just rust in place over time anyway.

That's true, but I use them as a gauge telling that I am being sold the correct part for a 4WD application. I leave them all the way down because jacking the height up blows the camber away and makes the front end stiffer - which you don't want off-road. You want the wheels to articulate so softer and slower is better. Extra shocks are the ticket to prevent bending the piss out of the strut tubes - don't ask how I know this :rolleyes:

GD

Lots of help, thanks everyone! I've got KYB shocks coming for the rear. Those are tired, about to rust out.

Has anyone tried Forester, impreza, or Outback springs in the GL struts? Or tried newer model struts and springs together in the front?