Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lsd?

oooo

I have a 97 impreza and am going to do some upgrades.

1. How hard is it to convert a 4.44 vlsd out of a 2000 rs to 4.11 vlsd, because I already have a spare 4.11 rear diff and found a 4.44 vsld and axles. I already know I need the rs axles because they are different then the regular axles.

2. Is it worth it, I've heard the vlsd aren't that good. The price is around $250. Anybody switched to one and could tell a noticeable difference?

3. Should I just save up a little more(they are around $400-450 I think), and buy a jdm mechanical lsd and axles. Which I assume means its a clutch type and not torsen, and I think I have to use the jdm axles because one axle is longer then the other buy a decent amount.

4. Should I try and save for a long time and purchase a kaaz clutch type diff, they are about $1200. I can't see them being that much more effective then the jdm mechanical subaru impreza clutch type diffs though. Plus since I only paid $750 for my car it's kinda steep haha

5. How much noise do the jdm impreza clutch type diffs make or clutch type diffs in general, I've read some say they are loud when engaging and going around corners and others that say they don't make that much noise at all. Not silent like the vsld but supposedly they are better for overall traction.

Thanks In advance

I have a 97 impreza and am going to do some upgrades.

1. How hard is it to convert a 4.44 vlsd out of a 2000 rs to 4.11 vlsd, because I already have a spare 4.11 rear diff and found a 4.44 vsld and axles. I already know I need the rs axles because they are different then the regular axles.

2. Is it worth it, I've heard the vlsd aren't that good. The price is around $250. Anybody switched to one and could tell a noticeable difference?

3. Should I just save up a little more(they are around $400-450 I think), and buy a jdm mechanical lsd and axles. Which I assume means its a clutch type and not torsen, and I think I have to use the jdm axles because one axle is longer then the other buy a decent amount.

4. Should I try and save for a long time and purchase a kaaz clutch type diff, they are about $1200. I can't see them being that much more effective then the jdm mechanical subaru impreza clutch type diffs though. Plus since I only paid $750 for my car it's kinda steep haha

5. How much noise do the jdm impreza clutch type diffs make or clutch type diffs in general, I've read some say they are loud when engaging and going around corners and others that say they don't make that much noise at all. Not silent like the vsld but supposedly they are better for overall traction.

Thanks In advance

1. very easy, if you know what you are doing in a rear diff. i just did this swap yesterday (to a clutch style, but the same process). things you might want to think about, is resetting your backlash.

2. yes and no, it is nice to have a lsd out back, but how much are you really going to use it. if you have a stock impreza i'm thinking you have the 2.2 and in the real world i don't think you will see an improvement. the viscus goo diffs work like you center diff and can take up to a 180 degree "slippage" before it will really grab. And still then it's not as good as a clutch lsd.

3.4. i really wouldn't waste your money on any of those. if you want to do a good lsd on the cheap, find a clutch lsd from an older turbo GL, like the mid 80s kind. swap out the clutch lsd into your rear diff plus a set of early 90s legacy rear axles and you are done. this will be way cheaper then buying any of the bling bling lsds out there and in my opinion just as good. that and you can still buy all the parts from subaru to rebuild them if need be. but you will never have to, they only came behind a whopping 100something horse power car and only half the power ever got sent to it.

just remember the longer axle goes on the passenger side. :cool:

good luck with your project

the idea of a viscous sounds bad, i'll never have one since i do mud, snow driving. the require slippage to create friction. well if your in slick nasty stuff, the minute you start slipping you're starting a nice rut..not good in my experience. but i don't know, i've never had one because i avoid them, i have clutch type LSD's and love them.