Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4wd disty to 2wd disty conversion

I searched for it and didnt find much..

Anyone done this with a EA82? is it worth doing?

And how complicated is it? Is it just the Cap that I need to replace with the 2wd, or with whole disty?

Is the power advance noticeable?

I gots a hitachi'd EA82

The 2WD to 4WD disty swap is for EA81's - and even for them it has come into question. Skip (I believe) looked it up in the FSM, and the 4WD is actually a better advance curve.

But I think on your EA82 they are the same - I don't think there's a difference at all, since the 2WD and 4WD have the same brand of disty....

GD

I think Boz is talking EA81, and Meeky said RX - so that's EA82T - both are COMPLETELY different than yours.

One thing on the EA81 2WD disty's - they are a different design - made by NipponDenso, and they fail more quickly than the Hitachi's that were used on the 4WD. This failure is due to the shaft bushings. It's not that the bushings of the distys wear at different rates - its that the design of the Hitachi can handle MUCH more slop in the shaft before replacement is needed. Any perceptibale slop in the ND disty will cause dramatic reduction in power, and tach "jump". I've seen Hitachi's that were functioning seemingly perfect with nearly 1/16" of slop in the shaft.

GD