Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another Sea Foam thread...

So... Nobody Tried the Valve Medic Additive? ... :confused: ...

I am Asking, `cos a Friend of mine gave me one to me as a Gift...

and I am Afraid to Pour it in any of my Cars...

It's for the oil? I'm sure it's just a mild detergent to help lift sludge and break it up. Why not put it in and run it for a 100 miles or so and then change the oil. I don't think it will hurt anything - or let me put it this way, if someone gave me one I'd try it. :lol:

(pour it in the wife's car :grin:)

An old trick is to drain the oil leave the same filter put straight kerosene in and run the engine 5 or 10 minutes without reving the engine. Then drain the kerosene change the filter and put oil in. It cleans out the engine. Just dont rev the engine the kerosene dosen't lube enough for the added stress of the engine being revved. Kerosene could also be substituded with diesel.

most of the ticking problem is from short starting your engine, ie: running it for a 1/2 mile to maby 4 or 5 miles, then shutting it off. never really warming the engine compleatly. day after day, water condenses in the warm engine and never evaporates , i use detergent additives all the time, but nothing will stop the water vapor from forming in the engine, except a proper warm up, atleast 10 miles at hiway speed, a fresh oil change or a long hiway trip always quiets my old loyale. just like a woman, get her hot once in a while and she'll shut up..