Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 Subaru Loyale No Spark!

I am back home now and have access to my service data. Here is what it shows. Fuse 11 provides power to the coil and fuel pump relay (I think that was mentioned already). So with the ignition OFF you should have good continuity between fuse 11 and the plus side of the coil but that isn't happening apparently . It has already been dertermined that fuse 11 has power on it and is a good fuse. The b/w power wire from fuse 11 goes through a couple of connections before it gets to those locations. One connector is called F66 according to my '88 manual. The other connector is F98. If these connectors are the same for your model year then they are located up in the far corner of the dash on the firewall, near the driver's door jamb. There are 4 connectors in a line. The second on the left is F66 and the fourth is F98. By just pulling the connectors apart and reconnecting them you might solve this trouble.

I think I have it! I was under the dash and saw these two clear plastic conectors that looked like they belonged together and plugged them together and whala it fired right up! I have absoltely no idea how they came apart. What are these connectors called? They are kinda long or wide and clear or opaque. I really appreciate everybodies help! I hope this fixes the problem!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure which ones they are as there are a number of connectors in that area. Since the engine fired up it looks like this case is closed, unless something else comes up. Glad you found the trouble and now you can enjoy the nice car.

There are some test connectors that are single wires that should only be connected when doing a test but assume the ones you connected are different from those.

Edited by Cougar

I think I have it! I was under the dash and saw these two clear plastic conectors that looked like they belonged together and plugged them together and whala it fired right up! I have absoltely no idea how they came apart. What are these connectors called? They are kinda long or wide and clear or opaque. I really appreciate everybodies help! I hope this fixes the problem!

was it a 7 pin connector? all with black wires?

That would be the main grounding junction for all the shielded wires and ECU grounds.

F88 in the FSM, and that would make perfect sense.

Glad you got this worked out. Now you can say to your friends whose laughing now.:lol: I had something like that happen to an old bronco i had. I went to work and my brother and his friends decided to steal it and go joyrideing. Well they didnt get a block away before it quit running. We towed it back to my place and i tore apart the ignition, gave it a tuneup, checked everything and it still wouldnt start just turn over. Well the hillbilly who had it before me changed it to an electric fuel pump and had the wire just sticking into the fuse box. It came loose, fuel pump quit working end of story. I hooked up herd the pump pumping and she fired right up. Kinda funny how things like that work out.

Edited by The Dude Abides

Glad you got this worked out. Now you can say to your friends whose laughing now.:lol:

You would not believe how much crap I had to eat over this one. I sold my 1991 toyota corolla all-trac wagon with 52,000 original miles and kept this subaru as we are down-sizing the vehicle situation around my place. That car was perfect as well. I always heard that subaru was a good car and it was in near new condition with only 28,000 miles so I took the leap and kept it. I hope to have many miles and good memories with this one. I really appreciate this website and all of its members for helping me with this situation as I have gotten to know the vehicle better. I have been offered more than I paid for it several times, but I hate to get rid of it as I really don't know what I would get to replace it. Thanks again for all of your help!

was it a 7 pin connector? all with black wires?

That would be the main grounding junction for all the shielded wires and ECU grounds.

F88 in the FSM, and that would make perfect sense.

No,that wouldn`t make sense at all.Missing grounds have no effect on coil power.

No,that wouldn`t make sense at all.Missing grounds have no effect on coil power.

Yeah, but his symtoms were more than just no power to coil. No CEL, no ECU light, no Fuel Pump priming.

But anyway, I am going to say that likely the culprit plug was indeed the F98 junction cougar mentioned. It is a clear, long plug, and has ALL the power wires for ECU, coil, and fuel pump running through it. It is in the row of 4 big connectors up under the dash, closest to middle of car.

You would not believe how much crap I had to eat over this one. I sold my 1991 toyota corolla all-trac wagon with 52,000 original miles and kept this subaru as we are down-sizing the vehicle situation around my place. That car was perfect as well. I always heard that subaru was a good car and it was in near new condition with only 28,000 miles so I took the leap and kept it. I hope to have many miles and good memories with this one. I really appreciate this website and all of its members for helping me with this situation as I have gotten to know the vehicle better. I have been offered more than I paid for it several times, but I hate to get rid of it as I really don't know what I would get to replace it. Thanks again for all of your help!

I was skeptical about these cars at first but i have 200k on mine and it still works good. The typical thing about these cars is that they get eaten up buy rust pretty good. Keep that in check and keep up on the maintence and you should be fine. These are great cars and the 4wd system is better then the yotas only because you have the dual range option if your so equiped. Even if you have single range its great in the snow and mud.

I was skeptical about these cars at first but i have 200k on mine and it still works good. The typical thing about these cars is that they get eaten up buy rust pretty good. Keep that in check and keep up on the maintence and you should be fine. These are great cars and the 4wd system is better then the yotas only because you have the dual range option if your so equiped. Even if you have single range its great in the snow and mud.

Mine is only 2 wd in the front, and it handled great in the snow. Only thing I don't really like is that it is a 3 speed and has no real overdrive and the fact it really doesn't like 87 octane gas so I use premium fuel and it seems not to ping using it but the cost is greater. Other than that it functions properly. The guy I got it from said that the a/c works fine but it will shut off and you have to turn it back on intermitenly. What do you think that could be? Thanks.

• 6 years later...