Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1984 GL Hatchback HELP!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 mcdanielsamuel

mcdanielsamuel

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • North Platte

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

http://www.carbkitus...roducts_id=2782

$299

#52 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

But it emits a lot of smoke out the tailpipe, its heavy and white.

It'a likely burning coolant as you may not have got the carb base heater port plugged with the adaptor block. Sometimes they don't quite cover the hole completely. A lot of folks simply block the port with JB weld and a bit of window screening.

GD

#53 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:27 AM

http://www.carbkitus...roducts_id=2782

$299

Wow! Beats the hell out of the $420 I paid about 6 years ago. I guess they are trying to clear the stock of the things. Probably not a lot of demand with increased emissions testing and fewer EA81's on the road.

GD

#54 Attractor1

Attractor1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Snohomish

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

ya now that you say that it makes sense..

#55 Attractor1

Attractor1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Snohomish

Posted 07 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

I checked it and its all sealed off, well now that im working on it during the daylight hours, the smoke is actually blue, thick and out of the tailpipe?????????

#56 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:55 PM

I checked it and its all sealed off, well now that im working on it during the daylight hours, the smoke is actually blue, thick and out of the tailpipe?????????

Blue or black?

Black would be too rich of a mixture.

Blue would be oil burning - either rings or valve stem seals - most likely valve stem seals.

Are you sure it's not just burning it off after sitting and having some oil seep into a cylinder? I don't know how long it sat while you did the conversion, but sometimes that will happen with older engine's. I've had plenty of EA81's with bad stem seals that would burn a bit of oil till they warmed up - it seeps in while they are sitting.

GD

#57 Attractor1

Attractor1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Snohomish

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:45 PM

Its blue when i start it and then it goes away. When i turn it off after warming up, it turn it back on and then there is a lot of white smoke that comes out the tailpipe. It also has a very rough idle and i already tried the speed, mixture, and timing and everything is good... its very possible that somehow the antifreeze is still getting into the manifold. im going to just cover it and hope... How can i just disconnect that port from getting any fluids at all??? Is it the tube that runs from the water pump to the back of the manifold?

Edited by Attractor1, 08 June 2009 - 08:42 PM.

#58 Attractor1

Attractor1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Snohomish

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Welll boysss..... IT"S FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The suubby is a go!!!!!! I just have to get it licensed and its finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana: :grin: :headbang: :popcorn:

#59 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:29 PM

You can't disconnect coolant from under the carb. The coolant cross-over is inside the manifold and is needed to pass coolant from the drivers side head to the passengers side head.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users