Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newb question about a fuel problem...

I have an 85 Brat...

I'm having some kind of fuel problem. Engine seems to be choking for gas. It just died one day and woouldn't start. Turns over though. Thought it might be a plug problem. Replaced those and no change. I was told I might need to change the fuel filter.

My friend thinks it's odd though that it has 3 hoses on it. Can someone tell me what they are all for? We did a test to see if the problem was the filter or the pump by taking the hoses off and started it up. Both tests had fuel coming from the pump ok and out of the filter ok. That explains 2 tubes. Whats the third? Possibly does it return unused gas to burn up or something?

I also tried dumping in some carb cleaner in the gas tank. We can get it to run, but it chugs, for a little bit. Once I start driving though it dies. Got about 20 feet before it won't start up again.

Any ideas and can someone tell me what the myseterious 3rd tube is?

Thanks!

Fred

The third line is a return to the gas tank.

What does the engine sound like if you turn it over while dumping gas directly into the throttle body? If it seems to be running OK using that method then your problem is somewhere in the feul line between the tank and the carb.

Keep us posted

Haven't tried pouring gas in yet to the throttle body. Question though... it seems like it's not getting enough air now. Or too much gas maybe. We are looking for another adjustment screw somewhere. We can find the one on the front, but there should be another somewhere. Can't find a diagram online, just the one for a weber thats on the USMB site. Any idea where one is.

First - the third line out the top of the filter is the "vapor seperator" it's not a return line - it's for returning vapor to the evap canistor or the tank - I can't recall which at the moment. The fuel return line connects beside the supply line at the carb....

Also - there are 2 fuel filters - one under the hood, and the other under the car. On your Brat it's slightly behind the drivers door, on a little shelf next to the fuel pump. Both probably should be replaced.

Do you have spark? Is your air filter clean? Is the choke operating properly? Etc.

GD

We replaced the plugs so spark should be ok. Thought that might be the problem at first. Didn't know about the other fuel filter. Will check that next.

Air filter is kinda dirty, but thats not even in right now. We took the whole air filter case off. The big blue metal tray thing. Sorry for lack of technical terms here.

Choke seems to be working ok also.

Looks like I may just take it to a shop tonight. Argh! Gonna cost me a bunch of money I don't have probably.

Thanks so much for the help. Still would like to hear any suggestions people have in case I don't leave it off at the shop.

On my 82 EA81 the third line on the fuel filter (vapor seperator I guess) goes back to the gas tank, but its a CA car and may be different than some others.

What are the symptoms as of right now? I sounds like you said it ran for a minute, kind of chugging, then died. This might sound stupid, but have you made sure that the plug wires are connected to the distributer right? The firing order should be 1 - 3 - 2 - 4

If you accidentaly switch the 2 - 3 plug wires on the disty, then it will run on 2 cylinders, but not drive. Dont ask me how I know, its embarrasing :D

Let us know what you turn up and good luck

I had similar symptoms once, I SWORE it was a fuel problem. I replaced both filters yadda yadda yadda in the freezing (Literally) rain still same problems. Waited a day or two, refilled with gas, same stuff. Ran ok when I dumped fuel down the carb. It had me going crazy. Long story short, Turned out to be a vacuum line that I just noticed out of the corner of my eye while I was banging my head on the air cleaner out of frustration. I had previously checked the vacuum lines too. I guess I just needed to slow down a little. CHECK YOUR VACUUM LINES REALLY WELL.

If the weber is on your EA81, then I dont see a problem with just eliminating the stock fuel filter, return line, and anything else in your way and replacing it with an in-line filter. Go for it and let us know the results (pics would be cool too) :D