Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey, This is a cool place you got here, Glad I found it.

Out of no where went to start up the car and would just turn over. Wouldn't fire or even pop off a couple times.

Ran awesome up until then, no prior symptoms.

From check engine light blinking ive managed to gather this information:

33: Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit

11: Crank Angle Sensor or Circuit

13: Cam Position Sensor or Circuit

31: Throttle Position Sensor or Circuit

Light was never on before this happened, it all happened at once when i tried to start.

I Checked any fuses that correlate with anything important and I couldnt find any blown ones, even checked alot of em for continuity.

Checked for spark with timing light and couldnt get anything out of all 4 cylinders.

Checked the coil pack connector for voltage and couldnt really get any readings that made sense.. like .6 or .8 volts..

Im a Chevy truck guy, I really dont know how these ignition systems or coil packs really even work..

But I would assume its not firing because it doesnt know when to because of loss of readings on sensors. Is there a common wire or fuse for these sensors?

These Boxer engines are a whole new world for me.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome..

I lose my job if I cant get this dang thing to run. So thank you in advance, Im really in a pickle here!

EDIT:

Also replaced alternator 1000~ miles ago

Edited by cl4yd0h

Welcome to the forum. Hope we can help you out and get you back running again.

The trouble you are having may be due to a lack of power getting to the devices. Checking the fuses was a good first step in trying to solve the trouble. There is a main relay under the dash that connects power to the ECU so I recommend you check that. Tapping on it may show up the trouble.

Also a fuse under the hood in a box next to the battery. Always good to check for a broken timing belt.

I checked all the fuses under the hood, but not the relays, I dont know how to check if those relays are good? Other then you can hear some go off when you pull them out.

The indicators just say SBF-1 etc. I have no idea what SBF is.

I will also check the main relay under the dash and try to find out somehow if its good or not.

I will also check the Timing Belt and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the help so far!

Also a fuse under the hood in a box next to the battery. Always good to check for a broken timing belt.

I checked all the fuses under the hood, but not the relays, I dont know how to check if those relays are good? Other then you can hear some go off when you pull them out.

The indicators just say SBF-1 etc. I have no idea what SBF is.

I will also check the main relay under the dash and try to find out somehow if its good or not.

I will also check the Timing Belt and get back to you guys.

Thanks for the help so far!

(Sorry for double post, wacky internet.)

Edited by cl4yd0h

SBF stands for slow blow fuse. They look different than regular fuses. Most of the relays are faily standard and can be swapped to see if they change anything by doing that. I don't suggest mixing them up though. To see how relays work and test them you will find all kinds of info on them doing a net search.

When I turn the crankshaft pulley with a socket wrench while the car is in neutral it the timing belt does not move with the crankshaft.

when the car is in gear and i move the car with the socket/rock it the timing belt moves with it..

I dont understand how this is possible?

The only way I can see this to be possible is that the crankshaft is not moving when you turn the crank pulley while in neutral. Maybe something's broken there. The only thing that can move the belt is the crankshaft sprocket.

Im totally stumped..

I have the plugs out and can hear compression in all cylinders when i spin the crankshaft in neutral. Its connected to everything.. and the timing belt doesnt even budge.

As far as I can tell the timing belt is directly connected to the crankshaft, correct??

When I put the car in gear and move the crank shaft the timing belt moves?

Am I just overlooking something stupid?

I mean the timing belt should spin when cranking over engine with starter, or else how is the damn thing gonna start.. How the heck do the gears play a role in this???

subuaru.jpg

Its to my understanding the timing belt directly relates to the crankshaft.

correct me if im wrong..

Edited by cl4yd0h

1) You crank the engine with the starter, the engine revs, piston go up and down but the belt does'nt move.

2) You push the car while in gear and the belt moves.

Makes no sense to me.

Turning the crank pulley bolt (if it's not stripped), cranking the starter or pushing the car in gear have one and the same effect : spinning the crankshaft. If the crank sprocket was broken off the crankshaft none of the aforementionned methods would move the belt.

Possible:

Crank pulley keyway totally hogged out, and crank shaft bolt stripped out and stuck in the hole, and heat siezed against the pulley.

So when you turn the bolt, you are just spinning the pulley and bolt, not the actual crank gear.

Not saying that is the case, just examining whats possible.

Possible:

Crank pulley keyway totally hogged out, and crank shaft bolt stripped out and stuck in the hole, and heat siezed against the pulley.

So when you turn the bolt, you are just spinning the pulley and bolt, not the actual crank gear.

Not saying that is the case, just examining whats possible.

See post 15# : he says the crankshaft is spinning but the belt is not moving.