Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SRS air bag code reading *** Score, codes read and fixed

1997 Impreza OBS. I replaced both air bags, controller and checked the fuses. Still no dice.

I did not bolt the computer down, that was probably dumb, I just got excited to test it. Maybe it needs properly grounded and I need to stop cutting corners on stuff that might explode in my face :lol::lol:

The FSM doesn't show any sensors - it indicates they are all self contained within the control module/computer. Is that true or did I miss something?

I know davebugs says he has a dealer do it, but anyone know how to pull codes? It can't be that hard, just need to get a light flashing.

I found one side of the diagnostic connector, but the other one isn't there?? FSM says it's simple - connect two connectors and the ABS light will flash the code.

Edited by grossgary

Success, Sweet!! Read the codes! "12" - drivers side air bag circuit. A friend installed that bag for me years ago when i first got the car. What he didn't tell me was that it wasn't connected nor did it have the right connector on it! Just found that out when I pulled it to inspect. Easy fix ! :banana:

Fortunately I had a spare bag from a Legacy GT that was the same and it hooked right up. So there's a tidbit - 97 Legacy GT and 97 Impreza OBS drivers side air bags are the same.

Installed the bag and airbag light went away and no BOOM :lol:.

Reading the codes was really easy actually once you decipher the Rosetta stoneish manual also known as the FSM and realize by "DIAG CONNECTOR" they really just mean a bare pin that's taped up and unseeable and not labeled like all the other connectors in the FSM making it unrecognizable - the others all have specific, traceable labels like B82 and such - the B81 DIAG CONNECTOR is lacking in details and info like all the rest.

There's a 6 pole pin connector up under the cover below the steering wheel - sort of "above the gas pedal" next to the center console side of the drivers foot well area. there's a few dangling plugs there, two green plugs, a black plug or two...woah there's a hummingbird 8 feet from me, cool - and a bunch of connectors. The black 6 pole connector (2 on top 4 on bottom) is your money maker. Only had three wires going to it (but that could differ slightly based on options probably).

Grounding the blue wire (top left facing it) spits the code out on the AirBag light. There are two diagnostic connectors - they are just pins and taped to the same harness that plug is on - pull the tape and those pins are exposed and you can use them to ground it. Without the pins you can just ground it yourself.

Well, I've seen other trying to figure this out in the past and I don't ever recall anyone getting the codes, but it's just as easy as the ABS or other codes I've read before, nothing special to it.

Edited by grossgary

And all done witout tirggering the instant pillow?

way cool.

yeah, right on. i tried my hardest, i was pulling fuses, disconnecting thing and generally working on it not only with the battery all connected but even with the car on.....that wasn't bright.