Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MP3 For 2009 Impreza-Nickle and Dime

My GF just bought a 2009 Impreza wagon. The car came with the type 1 factory radio installed. The radio has a CD/AUX button which does nothing when pressed. There is a rubber spacer in the console storage where the mini jack for the MP3 player is supposed to be. Frankly, it seems pretty cheap and petty for Subaru to cheat a customer out of MP3 player use for less than $1 worth of parts. The delaer said that the model she bought doesn't support an MP3 player. Is there a "hack' for the radio? I can always run wire and install ajck. Thanks.

I had the Aux jack installed in mine.. The CD/AUX button is so you can shuffle between the CD and whatever...like going to CD from the radio. If you get an accessory catalog you will find the aux jack kit. its like $60..but you will see that it basically plugs into the back of the stereo and runs under the center console.

The stereo will work with MP3 ipod and sat radio once you plug it into that mini jack. ( I have a base model 08 Imp so its bare bones and mine works with everything). I had mine in for a regular check up and they installed my jack labor free... I just paid for the unit.

Warning though..if you do it yourself be very careful getting the surround off.. my dealer did mine and put two marks into it.. its a $105 part to replace...lucky I didnt have to pay for that.

I have had mine for almost 2 years now and no problems no complaints

To the OP - i've seen hack kits and ideas - search around on the internet for more info since I dont' know much about it.

Hmm, I wonder how compatible that AUX jack is across other Subaru stereo's? Since the ones from 1990-200? are plug and play I wonder how much changed?

I'd like to take one of the older stereo's (like from my 2002 OBW) in and see if the connector would hook up to it.

Anyone know what the Subaru AUX plug kit plugs into?

The back of the stereo

the AUX ports in the back... its actually an extremely simple thing to do... and I was looking at my stereo today..it says right on it MP3 WMA etc compatible so your dealer is full of KaaKaa. These stereos are set up to accept about everything... even factory installed Sat radio

Edited by Bucky92

To the OP - i've seen hack kits and ideas - search around on the internet for more info since I dont' know much about it.

Hmm, I wonder how compatible that AUX jack is across other Subaru stereo's? Since the ones from 1990-200? are plug and play I wonder how much changed?

I'd like to take one of the older stereo's (like from my 2002 OBW) in and see if the connector would hook up to it.

Anyone know what the Subaru AUX plug kit plugs into?

Most of the older radios (aside from those in the 1990-1994 Legacy's) don't have any sort of aux setup on the radio. Not even an AUX radio setting. However, the upper model radios in the 1990-1994 Legacy's had built in AUX 3.5mm jacks. The SVX didn't even get this radio (IMO, the SVX got a worse radio, but they didn't want to put a double din radio in the SVX and it not have a CD player).

However, the upper model radios in the 1990-1994 Legacy's had built in AUX 3.5mm jacks.

Actually, the Panasonic deck from that era is the only one of the two (Clarion being the other) that has the Aux jack. They switched to Clarion in 92 IIRC. So it's actually only the 90/91 LS+ double-din deck that has the AUX jack on the front. It is a direct swap into the 92 through 94 cars though - I have a couple spare units from the JY and I recently swapped one into a '93 LS wagon as the original deck had worn buttons and no AUX jack.

Personally, for the price and hassle of the "kit" I would rather just buy an aftermarket deck that has the features I want etc. I bought a Sony deck over a year ago now and it's got the AUX jack and it has stereo bluetooth - I don't even have to use a cable. I play all my music through the bluetooth connection to the deck - streamed right from my phone. And if I get a call I can answer it through the stereo. This cost me about $150 back in '08 (they are cheaper now), and all I had to do was plug it in - Cruchfeild included the adaptor harness and I snagged a double-din pocket from the junk yard for my '91 SS.

FWIW - my GF's '07 Impreza Outback has the AUX jack in the flip-open compartment below the stereo - came stock that way.

GD

The 09 acc catalogue does not list it, but the 08 does. Part number for the kit is H6210FG000 (2.5i w/o Prem. Pkg.). Check link also:

http://www.worldpartsexpress.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=5511&siteid=214078&categoryID=139531&subcat1=147584&subcat2=147586&subcat3=147605

The link however is reflected under 09 accessories for the imp. So this is one you need. It is the same for the 08 and 09's.