Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I have a neighbor with a SOHC 2.2 95 legacy he wanted to do a timing belt and since I have been a mechanic at Dodge for 10 years so I did not think it was a big deal I set the crank at TDC and the arrows on the cam sprockets wer up at the 12 o'clock position. Everything I read said that the notches on the cams are the timing marks and you line them up with the timing cover.So, I marked the belt before I took it off as I always do but curious about why I read 20 articles that say these are not the timing marks and the car did run a little rough I thought I would try to match up the lines on the new t belt witht the notches. I wouldn't start and would kick back. Then I put the timing belt on with the marks that I made and it ran about the same as it did before.I left it this way as the neighbor was ok with it but I still think it runs a little rough. But what the heck do I align the marks with?? thearrows almost line up with the timing cover notches however, not once did I read that those are the timing marks. Any Ideas??

i'm not sure i understand completely, but, the arrows are not the timing marks on the cams or the crank. there are posts you can search for with "endwrench" articles the will have pictures and write ups.

if you use the correct marks and place them at 12 oclock, it will be right. if you use marks on the belt which have the wrong tooth count if will end up wrong. something's off, redo the belt.

i don't know why subaru has the arrows on the sprockets since i have never heard of someone using them to rebuild or repair an engine, but i only know what i read here.

welcome to the world of subaru.

endwrench articles on timing belts

Edited by johnceggleston

I have read that endwrench article along with others.I had 44 teeth to the pass side cam and 40.5 to the drivers. I used the timing notches and the car would not start. I tried a few times counted teeth and did everything I read about but no go. It WILL NOT run with the timing marks set to where they are suppose to be. I thought that mabey someone turne the cam sprockets around backwards but then they would be really off.I have done a ton of timing belts and have not had one off until now.I am still at a loss. everyone I have talked with at my shop and others are saying what you guys are saying but I don't know what to say because the "correct" timing marks will not work.

subaru made multiple marks and arrows as a tease, just for people who are unfamiliar with them. :lol:

seriously, do not use arrows. its all just the hash marks/tick marks, no arrows at all.

There are articles that talk of the arrows, and those articles are misleading, again.

Maybe you are not using the correct crank mark?

You will get it. At least that is a non-interference motor.

the "correct" timing marks will not work.

wanna bet!! :) just kidding, no offense intended. we get this all the time. a couple of weeks ago a guy on here with several thousand posts made the same mistake. it's easy to do.

look at the pics and make sure you are using the correct marks on all 3 sprockets. once you have put it back together to test run it, it's impossible to check the crank mark unless you pull the pulley and timing belt cover.

the crank mark is not on the face of the sprocket, it's on one of the reluctors, (tabs) on the rear edge of the sprocket. it's a hash mark, a line on the tab, like the cam sprocket marks. and the keyway is in the 6 oclock position.

keep at it , you'll get it.

PS: make sure you torque it to spec (search or ask), or it will loosen and kill the crank keyway, sorta common.

Edited by johnceggleston

OK your guys are the masters and I am an IDIOT!!!!:lol::lol::lol:.I was using the wrong crank mark, I was using the mark on the outside of the sprocket not the inside, The key way at 6 o'clock was my ticket thanks for that. I re did it at it purrs like a kitten. My neighbor said it has never ran this smooth so I have you guys to thank:):):):). Thank you very much no I can rest easy tonight.Just glad it wasn't post 97 interference.

Tony

OK your guys are the masters and I am an IDIOT!!!!:lol::lol::lol:.I was using the wrong crank mark, I was using the mark on the outside of the sprocket not the inside, The key way at 6 o'clock was my ticket thanks for that. I re did it at it purrs like a kitten. My neighbor said it has never ran this smooth so I have you guys to thank:):):):). Thank you very much no I can rest easy tonight.Just glad it wasn't post 97 interference.

Tony

i should have made that bet. :lol:

congrats on your success.

so, now all you want to work on are subarus, right? or are you going back to the dark side? :eek: