Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Calling King/Scorpion spring owners, new gen

superu

A call to all you rolling on king/scorpion springs in your new gen rigs. Regular or raised springs. I'd like to get your input, comments, cheers and jeers of those springs.

Please illucudate if you're on factory struts, KYB GR2s, lift blocks what kind of tires you're rolling, all that good stuff.

I'm REALLY interested in a straight comparison of stock springs to king/scorpionsprings and those with raised springs also.

Its likely most of you are on GR2s also, but that's probly just down the road for me anyway so probly a wash..

:) Thanks and pix would be FANTASTIC too! :banana:

I dont know how "new" you were lookin for. But mines a 95 LOB. It was the first year OB and i think had Legacy ground clearance.

DSCN1070.jpg

I used KYB GR2's for a 98 LOB, and King Springs(raised) for a 98 AU Forester with 98 US Forester Strut tops. Ive got 27x8.5/14 General Grabber AT2. Removed swaybars. No "factory lift blocks" my 95 didnt have them, later years did.

Not the best picture but you can tell ive gained some clearance.

wildcatrecovery018-1.jpg

Overall, I love it. I can rally 60+ through the 30 mph turns without waivering. The stiffer springs really keep the car planted to the road, and help against body roll since i removed the swaybars. The extra clearance is amazing in the snow.

• 3 weeks later...

well.

you've seen and ridden in my '03 outback...with kings and stock struts. I have over 100k on the stock struts ...

The kings are so progressive I prob. won't need gr-2's anytime soon..

With stock springs It's a rolly polly wagon...I hated it..

With kings you can really load down the wagon like a pu..I've had a 1/2 ton of concrete in the back..the kings hardly squatted...

All the Aussies/kiwis have them...and they wheel the hell outta their rigs..down unda...

My write up with the king/scorpion springs and GR2 set up is on here somewhere... Just do a search and I am sure you will find it.

If you want a set, get them. You won't be disappointed at all.

Hey The Yeti,

yeah, i've seen this post, in fact i've referenced it to others here as well. Its part of my inspiration, but i'd like feedback from owners. Your thoughts and impressions of the springs when compared to stock, similarly with the GR2s vs. stock. and of course photos are always nice ;)

I know there are others out there, but this thread seems not to be reaching them :confused:

thanks,

-mw-

Hey The Yeti,

yeah, i've seen this post, in fact i've referenced it to others here as well. Its part of my inspiration, but i'd like feedback from owners. Your thoughts and impressions of the springs when compared to stock, similarly with the GR2s vs. stock. and of course photos are always nice ;)

I know there are others out there, but this thread seems not to be reaching them :confused:

thanks,

-mw-

They are fewer than you might think. Out side of what you have read about them already here or outback.org, there isn't much out there.

If your worry is "a stiffer ride", you have nothing to fear. The combination of the GR2 with the springs is far better than stock. Stop kicking the tires and do it :banana:

If your worry is "a stiffer ride", you have nothing to fear. The combination of the GR2 with the springs is far better than stock. Stop kicking the tires and do it :banana:

Ooh how right you are!!! I should, just do it and I'll be happy!! :rolleyes:

BUT here's another question Mthoodsub brings to mind :grin:

Why the OB struts but Forester springs and top-hats?? Why not OB springs too? Could I use my same top-hats (from 97-97 OB) with FOR GR2s or FOR scorpion springs?

Would there be an advantage to using FOR GR2s and FOR scorpion springs (regular or raised)?

I'm getting new struts soon and am thinking of doing FOR rather than OB...

Are forester springs taller or stiffer than OB springs? Is it like a little MORE lift going FOR raised vs. OB raised?

OK, I am sold on the stiffer ride and better handling of the king/scorpions,

(especially when compared to stock:lol:)

BUT (and there's always a butt ;)

do raised springs just push the car up and closer to the top of suspension travel?

Would it be better to have the whole swing of travel as from NON-raised scorpion springs then push the car up on like a 1" block (see jacksonrally) to get more tire and ground clearance, OR just do it all with the raised spring.

See yeti, you thought it was over, my waffling and questioning, but touche

:) I still got questions :)

BUT I am definitely closer to getting the springs.....Oh, and I need new struts anyway, so I'll do the GR2-scorpion combined thing together,

WOOP WOOP :clap::popcorn::brow::D:banana:

So part of my hesitation is daily driving ride.

but. . .

See I've got the legacy on stock OB struts and springs, and its pretty soft. My wife has an IMP on FOR struts and springs and its pretty rough. This is part of the reason we take my car most places, especially road trips.

So i want to know if the kings make the on pavement ride rough, like you feel/hear every crack, or just a bit firmer, with off road excellence! I KNOW i'll love it off road. I checked out some of mthoodsub's videos and its nice to see a legacy bouncing around off road (like some of the liftes AE 4x4's on coil overs or what-not) compared to how my legacy would swish and thunk on those trails...

THEN,

on dirtyimpreza.com, someone was talking about 04 forester struts and springs ON and OB giving it more of a lift. So now I'm thinking of FOR GR2s and raised kins springs, and maybe 04 FOR stuff... You need to use the rear FOR tophats b/c the spring perch is different ( i think the spring's diameter tapers), but the body mounting is the same as LEG and OB.

:rolleyes: Just trying to get the COMPLETE picture before i send $700 overseas for springs giving me a set-up, that could be better.

I'm planning on doing the raised king springs, no doubt. Just the details man, its all in the details

Yeah, still interested in more feedback.

I've also heard people getting these then taking them off b/c ride is too stiff. Think old pick up on dirt road stiff and bouncy.

They're progressive springs right? Does "progressive spring rating" mean they're a bit soft but get stiffer with more suspension flex (like off-road)?

How do they perform on stock struts ( i know scoobyclimbs loves them) vs. new GR2s?

Aren't GR2s stiffer than stock to begin with, so combining kings with new GR2s could be pretty stiff 'eh?

I've got a lead on a set now and am interested but I just want to know HOW STIFF OF A RIDE they make on a daily driver, especially since I need new stuts soon anyway and I'll be getting GR2s (maybe for a 98 FOR?). I know i'll love them off road but what about everyday pavement.

My wife's got new 98 forester struts (GR2s) on her IMP and the ride is super stiff. It was bouncy/stiff on the used FOR struts too. i know my car's a touch heavier (3115 lbs. to her 2750 lbs.), but only like 1-2 passengers worth, i.e. 365 lbs. By contrast a 2000 FOR is 3125 lbs. So maybe its just the 360ish pounds lighter of her car on FOR struts makes it stiffer?

Anyhoo, i just want a bit more feedback from you guys in the know... :)

Thanks again

I had my OBW out on a 3-day permit a while ago and it felt pretty good in traffic. You can tell the car is sprung a little more aggressively.

My OB has a 1/5" lift kit, I don't know for certain if all drop blocks are the same depth but I think it's uniform. I cured a clunk in the front end by removing the front sway bar. I think it was caused by the springs forcing the front conrol arms downward a little, which was causing the end links to bounce against the sway bar or the control arm; i forget which.

The car feels like it understeers just a little when coming out of turns. I don't know if that's due to the removal of the sway bar or some other modification.

Edited by baccaruda