Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I did the search but came up with 2 different anwers:confused::confused::confused:(black or green???

MY 96 outback 5 speed with ABS light on the dash, trying to find out where is the dignoise plug. I looked under the dash by steering, i still couldnt find the plug. What color is it?

Thanks

I am thinking/remembering that it is black also but it might be white...on my 2001 Forester. Just climb under your dash with a flashlight.......and mirror if needed, to find the few diff plugs under there. Probably only 2 choices, try them both. Here are some notes I had on it:

ABS Light stays on:

Dealer will just say they have to hook up their ABS computer scanner to diagnose the problem. You might as well first do a visual inspection of all of the components to be sure wires are intact and no obvious damage to any of the conduits etc. On the third sensor I inspected, I found an old wire breakage near the sensor that the previous owner (or some clown who broke the wire while doing a brake job) had soldered back together and wrapped electrical tape around….amazingly, it held for several years. Here is a diagram of the general ABS setup, albeit from a different car: http://autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl457a-lib.htm

You can easily and quickly pull out a wheel speed sensor once you remove the wheel. It has a black wire coming out of it, with a white stripe if you look up it near the wire clamp. You will find it mounted just in toward the engine on the splash shield by the rotor. Use a 12mm socket to take out the single retainer bolt. Then gently wiggle or pry with a screwdriver to pull out the sensor. It is a friction fit and sits in a hole like a bottle cork. So you can wiggle it out back and forth. Clean off the dirt/rust dust that might be covering the black sensor “cork” and the metal tip at the bottom of it. Visually inspect the teeth of the tone wheel, mine were clean as a whistle. The front driver side ABS speed sensor assembly is part # 27540AC100 and costs $120.77 shipped from subarugenuineparts.com. $3 cheaper than 1stsubaruparts. The wire from the sensor goes up through the fender into the engine compartment where it clips onto another ABS system wire with a standard wire connector.

Edited by unibrook

MY 96 outback 5 speed with ABS light on the dash, trying to find out where is the dignoise plug. I looked under the dash by steering, i still couldnt find the plug. What color is it?

The black 6-pin B82 diagnosis connector (for ABS/SRS/AT testing, depending on model year) and ''diagnosis terminals'' (ground leads) are often fully taped to other wiring under the dash, to the right of the steering column, so check closely.

See http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5822&d=1215713274 for an idea of what to look for and the pin locations. Once you find the connector, with the ignition switch OFF, insert a ''diagnosis terminal'' into pin location #6 of the connector. Then turn the ignition switch ON (don't start the engine) -- that should get you the ABS blink codes. Post any codes you get if you don't know how to interpret them.

• 5 years later...

99 Forester L

Also having trouble locating ABS diagnosis connector.  Two persons have spent considerable time looking.

Is connector plugged into another connector, or is it free?  Is size  approx 1.5" x .5"?

Am I looking for white or black connector with two green ground leads?

five under-dash photos in link below:

http://postimg.org/gallery/m128x6vo/49002190/