Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bought 02 WRX wagon yesterday-8500

I bought a 02 wrx wagon yesterday for $8500...rear bumper is bashed in pretty good,having it replaced next week for $600,car has 64k miles.Question:Can my independent mechanic handle 60k service,including R/R spark plugs(subaru dealer mech told me plugs are 2.5hr job???)My mech has kept my 93 legacy touring wagon running great for 3yrs.This wrx wagon is a blast to drive,and i'm driving nothing but subaru forever.Thanks for your help!

Spark plugs take a half hour if you have never done them before. 10 mins if you have. Take out the battery, washer jar and air filter box to get access to them. All of those come out with just a few bolts.

If your mechanic has been doing good with your 93 legacy, he will be fine with the WRX, it's not much more complicated really.

I bought a 02 wrx wagon yesterday for $8500...rear bumper is bashed in pretty good,having it replaced next week for $600,car has 64k miles.Question:Can my independent mechanic handle 60k service,including R/R spark plugs(subaru dealer mech told me plugs are 2.5hr job???)My mech has kept my 93 legacy touring wagon running great for 3yrs.This wrx wagon is a blast to drive,and i'm driving nothing but subaru forever.Thanks for your help!
..maybe your mechanic meant to remove the valve cover and put in new plug "wells" along with new spark plugs ( normally these leak at your cars age) and new valve cover gaskets..but still, 2.5 hrs is high...1.25hr max for a pro..plugs only under 1/2 an hr with no problem Edited by Petersubaru

Thanks subaru360 and Petersubaru for your advice!What's up with these subaru dealers??I know everybody wants to make a buck,but come on ,that's like stealing!It's too bad,that such a great car is backed by these scamming guys,I will continue with my mechanic(working on my cars for 20 yrs),real funky looking garage,but he knows what he's doing.(and at a fair price)Now,i see why, all of you, do your own work!!!Thanks again

Doing the plugs in 10 minutes is an exaggeration. The WRX's are DOHC, so the plugs are buried down at a 90 degree angle in the heads. Rear drivers side is the biggest PITA, some undo the engine mounts and lift it up a bit to get a clear shot, or I just feed the socket in, then the extension, then the ratchet. They suck, there's no doubt about it, but 2.5 is a bit much. Nothing like a 5.4l F150.

Spark plugs take a half hour if you have never done them before. 10 mins if you have. Take out the battery, washer jar and air filter box to get access to them. All of those come out with just a few bolts.

If your mechanic has been doing good with your 93 legacy, he will be fine with the WRX, it's not much more complicated really.

Kudos If you can get them done in 10 min. If you can get the battery out, washer resevoir out,air box out, etc.. coil packs out, and plugs out, and everything reinstalled in 10 min. I give you serious kudos.

I work for Subaru, So all day every day nothing but Subarus and even with air tools I cant get a set of plugs done on a WRX in under 10 minutes..."strong with the force young skywalker is"...:lol: