Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hood unlatches itself 97 Outback

OK, this is another strange thing that is happening to my newly acquired 97 OUtback. The hood unlatches itself when driving down the road. It only opens to the safety latch, but still it's un-nerving! It happened taking my son to school this morning, had him close the hood, then it was ajar again just a couple miles down the road! Is this a 'normal' issue? Do I need to replace the latch?

Karin

:lol: hood pins would work... but that's extreme.:lol:

If all the rest fail, the latch is held in position with 2 bolts. Loosen them slightly, not enough to let the latch drop down on it's own (or scribe the height of the latch before you start) and move it a little higher, it won't take much. Tighten and drive it until it pops again or stays in place. There might be rubber adjusters on either side of the front to adjust the alignment compared to the fenders.

thanks! I actually bought some of that a while ago, and hubby looked at me like I was silly for buying it! I didn't get around to lubing/greasing the latch yesterday (worked on cleaning up my old car the Soob is replacing so I can sell it), but hopefully will get to it today.