Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wiring diagram for overheating 85 brat

I am trying to get both of the electric fans in my 85 brat operational. one seems to be working most of the time from the thermo-sensor input or from having the ac on. The one fan by itself does not cool enough to be able to run the ac while i am idling. the other fan does not turn on at all, i connected it straight to the battery and the fan motor works so it must just not be getting power. I'm not sure what the best way to deal with this is. does anyone have a wiring diagram? i have the chiltons and haynes manuals but all they have is a vacuum diagram. any help is appreciated

There is a little ground wire in the top part of the radiator to the radiator support up sort of near the color code sticker/hood prop. Is that still present.?
The ground return for the non-AC fan is through that wire; if it's gone, fan won't work. Also, check the thermoswitch to make sure it closes when overheating. bheinen has it right!

down the radiator side tank, nearest the passenger side, is a single quick connect terminal to the thermo switch, down in the middle of the tank end. Unplug that, and then ground it to body. Fan should turn on when the ignition is on. It i turns on when you ground it, that thermo switch is bad. Or the wire is corroded like they sometimes are. also there are a couple of plastic connectors near the headlight in front of the battery, and they can get corroded, they are part of it as well.

Unfortunately the thermoswitch does not have a quick disconnect. it is wired directly into the wiring harness. I was however, able to get the primary fan running again. So the car will drive fine and not overheat provided that i do not turn on the ac. I want to wire the second fan so that it is on all the time when the car is on. what would be the best way to do that.

i only want the fan to run all the time because it would be the easiest way to make it operational. Additionally having the fans set up on separate circuits would increase reliability in that if one went out for whatever reason the other would still be functional. The rest of the cooling system works great, on the highway she runs nice and cool all the time.