Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would make a transmission die like this?

1997 Impreza Outback 5MT, 4th gear is pretty much unuseable, 3rd gear pops out unless you hold it in, howls in all gears. 230k, which I don't consider much for a subaru transmission. Apparently it's been going out for 4 years now, and the dealer said it needed a new transmission 3 years ago.

Just wondering, because I've got 240k and 260k on two 5MT D/R's, and no issues like this, and even a few 4MT D/R's that weren't anywhere near this bad at around 220k.

I'm actually going to put a 5MT D/R in it, since I still use the low range on my car almost every day, but other than that one feature (and the styling) I like the EJ22 and other "new car" features of the impreza better than the old EA82.

Probably the big Double Ball bearing on the main(upper) shaft. It is between the 3/4 and 5th gearsets on the shaft. At the rear of the case, and it is the ONLY thing that keeps the shaft from sliding for and aft in the trans. When the shaft can walk forward, it disengages the 3rd gear shiftcollar.

If fixed in the early stages, you can simply replace the bearing, and all the seals while you are in there (I just did this to my mothers 96 OB)

After 4 years though, the gears, and the faces on the thrust washers of the gearsets, are probably trashed. But it might be worth it to open 'er up and take a look. Even if you have to take the shaft in to have the new bearing pressed, you can save ALOT of money doing the disassembly yourself.

Somebody grinding gears constantly. Throwing shifts too quick and wearing out the synchros then grinding the dog teeth down to points. Probably never changed the fluid either. Doesn't really matter what or how it happened, it's shot now. Open it up and see what you find for gits and shiggles.

• 3 months later...

Update.... haven't taken the transmission apart, but it felt like Gloyale's explanation was the correct one. When CCR did the dual range swap, they found that the clutch disk had disintegrated (that's what finally killed it... romping on it in deep snow, all of a sudden it lost all gears). Clutch was slipping already.

I love the new dual range transmission :)