Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Impreza OBS :: Help me diagnose my binding...

my question would then be... what exactly does installing the FWD fuse do?

And then... is the FWD light supposed to come on when the fuse is installed or when the duty C selonoid is removed from the circuit?

I'm thinking that my FWD light (assuming I do have one in my 96 OBS) does not come on after installing the FWD fuse because... it's not actually in FWD... it's still stuck in AWD.

Do a search on torque bind.

FWD light is supposed to come on with the fuse inserted. The fuse completes a circuit to disable the AWD for emergencies.

FWD light is independent of the circuit and has absolutly no bearing on whether the AWD system is working or not. Yes you have one, all automatic subarus have them in the 90's that have the 4EAT.

And lets clear up something, you are NOT stuck in awd. you always have AWD. thats why it is called full time AWD. What you have is a malfuncting AWD system that is applying full pressure to the clutch pack OR the clutch pack is cooked so it is fused together and not allowing slip between the front and rea wheels on turns.

My 98 OBS does have a FWD light. It is at the bottom left of the cluster. The ABS light is above it and the AT Oil light is to the right of it....

96's have different guages... they had 2 large center guages and fuel on one side and temp on the other, not the center speedo, tach on one side and the other 2 on the other side like 98+'s

I've done a bunch of searches on TB and read a lot on the subject. You mentioned that when inserted, the fuse is supposed to complete a circuit and disable the AWD completely for emergencies.

What if the AWD can't be disabled due to the bad duty C? Does the FWD light still come on even if the car is "stuck in AWD"? That wouldn't make much sense would it?

Maybe the system is smart enough to know that you've insterted the FWD fuse BUT since the car is "stuck in AWD" and cannot be put in FWD only... the FWD light won't come on.

Why would it not make sense? Your high beam indicator comes on even if your high beams are burned out, same thing. Its an independent circuit of the Duty C.

Do you have a flashing trans temp light on startup? That is an indicator that something is wrong with an electrical cirucit in the transmission. It is possible to be stuck in 4wd and not have a bad dutcy c solenoid. First thing to do is a transmission flush and see if that helps.

nipper