Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I get in the car to go to work (37mi. one way), and I noticed a slight thumping. It sounded like a flatspotted tire, and I have a slow leak. So, I figured I just needed some air. I stop at a couple of places in my hometown before I head down the road. They are all $.75 for air (what a rip!), and all out of service. Go figure. I'll take my chances. I made it down to work uneventfully, but the trip home was not so much. The thumping had gotten louder with a noticeable vibration to go along with it. It got to the point I was doing 50 in the slow lane with the hazards on, hoping I could just get it home. I was thinking of everything: bad tierod end(s)- could end up real bad if it broke, ball joint- same dismal scenario, steering rack- even worse. Luckily, I got it home. I didn't really have time to go in depth, but curiosity got the best of me. I gave it a couple of good shoves with my boot. Then, I noticed a gap between the rim and rotor. Now, I had just rotated the tires 2 weeks prior, and I have been tinkering with cars for the better part of 20yrs. I have never had lugnuts come loose. I hit them lightly with an impact then torqued them to 80 ft/lb. I remember it distinctly. The only solution I could come up with is: Some S.O.B. tried to steal my freakin' wheel!!!!! 4/5 of the lugnuts were loose; the only one tight was the lock.

Sorry for the long post, but heed it as fair warning. Some crackhead is out there trying to get your stuff!

My question is: when I do dive in, aside from the obvious (egged out holes in the rim, mangled stud threads), what else should I check (Wheel bearing, tierod ends, etc.)?

So, I get in the car to go to work (37mi. one way), and I noticed a slight thumping. It sounded like a flatspotted tire, and I have a slow leak. So, I figured I just needed some air. I stop at a couple of places in my hometown before I head down the road. They are all $.75 for air (what a rip!), and all out of service. Go figure. I'll take my chances. I made it down to work uneventfully, but the trip home was not so much. The thumping had gotten louder with a noticeable vibration to go along with it. It got to the point I was doing 50 in the slow lane with the hazards on, hoping I could just get it home. I was thinking of everything: bad tierod end(s)- could end up real bad if it broke, ball joint- same dismal scenario, steering rack- even worse. Luckily, I got it home. I didn't really have time to go in depth, but curiosity got the best of me. I gave it a couple of good shoves with my boot. Then, I noticed a gap between the rim and rotor. Now, I had just rotated the tires 2 weeks prior, and I have been tinkering with cars for the better part of 20yrs. I have never had lugnuts come loose. I hit them lightly with an impact then torqued them to 80 ft/lb. I remember it distinctly. The only solution I could come up with is: Some S.O.B. tried to steal my freakin' wheel!!!!! 4/5 of the lugnuts were loose; the only one tight was the lock.

Sorry for the long post, but heed it as fair warning. Some crackhead is out there trying to get your stuff!

My question is: when I do dive in, aside from the obvious (egged out holes in the rim, mangled stud threads), what else should I check (Wheel bearing, tierod ends, etc.)?

That was a short post.

What do you mean "when you dive in" ?

nipper

I think you're good to go if you check the following-

- Studs

- Lug nuts

- Lug not holes

- Wheel face where it rests on the rotor

- Wheel center where it rests on the centering ring

- Rotor where the wheel face fits against it

- Hub centering ring

Dave

That about covers everything i'd check.

Odds are really against having done any bearing damage at all. Though if you feel like checking it just hold the spring and spin the wheel, if there is any roughness you'll feel it in the spring.

Thats pretty crazy. Not sure why some one would start to steal a wheel, and not realize it had a locking lug nut until they got to it last. People are crazy.

Dan

Yeah, it had to happen at work. There is alot of ghettofabulous foot traffic past our unsecured lot. One chick had her SUV broken into, but I can understand that because the idiot left her purse on the seat. They got one dude's cat. conv. off his 4runner, and now this.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the same thing happen. I had a torn cv boot on the left front wheel and was anticipating a replacement soon. My son comes home from school and says the car is making a strange noise and the steering wheel is shaking. So I take the car for a ride and see what he is talking about. I figured the cv joint finally quit. So I start the job and find 4/5 lug nuts loose! Only one still hanging on. I have never had a nut loosen on a wheel. I had recently pulled that wheel to do some brake work so I figured I was at fault. I don't usually torque my lug nuts but crank on them. Since this happenned I have replaced the cv axle, rotor and pads. I did torque the lug nuts this time to 75 ft lbs. I will be checking them again soon!

Many many moons ago...

I bought an old Ford P/U that was up on blocks in the guys yard. He threw the tires on while I went to the bank for the rest of the $$$. We drove around the block for a test drive, we exchanged money and tittle, and away I went.

Later that night, as the OP on this thread described... THUMP THUMP THUMP.

I saw the loose nuts and the hogged out holes in the rim. When I jacked it up, taking the weight off the lugs but the tire still resting in the gravel, the holes were so enlarged that the tire fell off , passing right over the lug nuts!! It had hogged out the holes in the steel rim that badly in just a couple hours of driving.

I can believe it, My 03 Nissan Frontier, All of a sudden on day, Had One lug nut missing and the center cap missing. I was like, damn! Wish I would have caught the punk!

But thats weird that all of them were loose enough to actually do that, When I towed the 78 Parts brat home, It only had two lug nuts on each of the rear wheels. Several studs were missing as well. Towed it with a dolly for like 30 miles.

-Daniel

Many many moons ago...

I bought an old Ford P/U that was up on blocks in the guys yard. He threw the tires on while I went to the bank for the rest of the $$$. We drove around the block for a test drive, we exchanged money and tittle, and away I went.

Later that night, as the OP on this thread described... THUMP THUMP THUMP.

I saw the loose nuts and the hogged out holes in the rim. When I jacked it up, taking the weight off the lugs but the tire still resting in the gravel, the holes were so enlarged that the tire fell off , passing right over the lug nuts!! It had hogged out the holes in the steel rim that badly in just a couple hours of driving.

We recently had to replace a rim on a 2WD truck at work for pretty much the same reason, the nuts could not be tightened any more because the lug holes on the rim were worn out. Not from being loose though, just from changing tires so often, (winter/summer), but it took 14 years to wear 'em out. Studs had to replaced too, as the thumping rim/tire wore those into a hourglass shape.