Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got a 2000 Subaru Legacy L! My a/t transmission seems to be fine, but my something wrong with my transfer case/front diff. I found a 2000 legacy outback transmission (TZ1A4ZCABA-WL) but it doesn't exactly match my tranny numbers (TZ1A4zCACA-WR). I know that it will probably fit and bolt up, but I am not sure if the transfer case/front differential will work well with my car. Someone had told me that you need to match those numbers exactly, but I heard that people put Impreza transmission onto Legacies as well as some 2006 legacy transmission work with 2000 legacies. Can anyone help?

I was also wondering what other a/transmissions will fit onto my 2000 Subaru Legacy L and work well?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

Edited by Khan

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

slow down.

Why replace an entire transmission when the AWD problem can be fixed on its own.

If you have a trouble free 2000 transmission, stick with it and just fix the AWD section.

Using your logic, may as well replace the car because it has an oil leak :)

Now what problems are you having with the AWD.

nipper

you very well could have a simple fix, don't slap another transmission in just yet.

a friend just bought a cheap subaru that got three quotes from local dealers "needing a transmission" for thousands of dollars no doubt. i helped my friend fix it for about $50 and not much time.

also - most common issues are already found on here.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

slow down.

Why replace an entire transmission when the AWD problem can be fixed on its own.

If you have a trouble free 2000 transmission, stick with it and just fix the AWD section.

Using your logic, may as well replace the car because it has an oil leak :)

Now what problems are you having with the AWD.

nipper

you very well could have a simple fix, don't slap another transmission in just yet.

a friend just bought a cheap subaru that got three quotes from local dealers "needing a transmission" for thousands of dollars no doubt. i helped my friend fix it for about $50 and not much time.

also - most common issues are already found on here.

Oh no its definitely not a simple fix. When I am rolling the car, every time the wheel makes a rotation, it feels like i am driving over a curb going 25mph. I know its not the transmission, it is something wrong with the transfer case/front differential. Taking it off and trying to rebuild, is more expensive then buying a used/rebuilt one. When I emptied out the fluids, I got metal shavings. My buddy is the mechanic and he told me I need to find a new one.

So does anyone know wether this 2000 outback tranny/diff will work fine with my 2000 legacy? Any other trannies that will work?

PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

Edited by Khan

About your friend, well, i'll be nice.

All autopmatic transmissions when you drop the pan will have some metal shavings in them, so calm down and stop and think. The metal shavings are most likely from the clutch drum in the AWD unit, a common thing when the clutch pack fails. It gets replaced as part of the repair.

Take the car to a dealership, as it costs about 900.00 to fix the AWD unit in one of these transmissions, which is about what it will cost you to replace the transmission with labor.

Also the 2000's have an issue with an inner seal, causing a long delay in engagment from a stop, and from rev to drive. If yours does not have these problems, KEEP IT! Odds are the replacement will have this issue (could be the reason it ended up in scrap yard to begin with).

Take it to subaru, get it fixed, get a warrenty, and save yourself money in the long run.

nipper

Thank you for the reply! I am sorry but thats the worst idea ever... Just to take the tranny off and put it back on, the dealer will charge me 16 hours of labor Not to mention actually fixing or it or whatever is wrong with it. I cannot drive the car so it will also cost me money to tow it over there.

I called the dealer and they said taking it off and taking it apart will cost more then replacing it.

The problem first started off with a clanking noise when the wheels where spinning, I took passenger axel out and it wouldn't make the noise anymore. After putting the axle back in and trying to drive again, it started to make a very loud clank and jerks the car as if I am driving over a curb going 25mph when I am driving 1-5 mph.

My buddy will put the tranny on and off for 400 bucks for me. I can probably get this 2000 outback tranny for around 500, its got 20k miles on it and hasnt been in use for a while. I just need to know if it will work flawlessly or if there any other imprezas or foresters that will work well with my car.

Thanks!

Thank you for the reply! I am sorry but thats the worst idea ever... Just to take the tranny off and put it back on, the dealer will charge me 16 hours of labor Not to mention actually fixing or it or whatever is wrong with it. I cannot drive the car so it will also cost me money to tow it over there.

I called the dealer and they said taking it off and taking it apart will cost more then replacing it.

The problem first started off with a clanking noise when the wheels where spinning, I took passenger axel out and it wouldn't make the noise anymore. After putting the axle back in and trying to drive again, it started to make a very loud clank and jerks the car as if I am driving over a curb going 25mph when I am driving 1-5 mph.

My buddy will put the tranny on and off for 400 bucks for me. I can probably get this 2000 outback tranny for around 500, its got 20k miles on it and hasnt been in use for a while. I just need to know if it will work flawlessly or if there any other imprezas or foresters that will work well with my car.

Thanks!

Ok then i am bowing out of this thread.

Good luck.

nipper

Thanks for trying to help man! I appreciate it! Nobody seems to be able to help me :( I even called the dealer and they don't know!

I would suggest posting a general location and see if any of the subaru members would be willing to take a listen.

It sounds like anything from a wheel-bearing to an axle that is not properly inserted into the differential.

Dave

information is good. keep in mind that we can't hear, smell, lick, touch, or see what's going on. fill us in, we as a group are orders of magnitude more experienced and knowledgeable about Subaru's then your buddy or mechanic or even your local dealer. the help you receive will only be as good as the info we're provided.

posting multiple threads does not help anything. actually it hurts you because folks will start posting in them all and then they get deleted because you posted all over the place. play nice, give info, and don't bombard the forum with multiple threads, we're not getting paid for this.

the transmission "will work", the only concern is final drive ratio. 4.11 and 4.44 are the only two automatic options.

you'll have to determine the final drive ratio (very annoying) to verify. you have to count front diff teeth (or the easier option is to count the rear diff rotations if you have access to it.

outbacks are always 4.44 - so you know what that one should be, though i'd check, particularly since you got it from someone/some place.

if you have 15" wheels then i'd bet yours is a 4.11...but that's really a stab in the dark too. but it seems that subaru changes gear ratios when overall wheel/tire sizes change or engines change. being all EJ25's, there's not much else to vary.

the transmission numbers are meaningless by themselves. they dont' need to match.

the junk yard sites aren't cross listing them, so they may be different.

1-800-696-0144 has one in New York for $350.

and actually - if you're bent on using the outback trans, just get a rear diff to match, they're cheap and easy to find. i had/have a 4.44 in my garage. i think i still have it. then you'd change your gear ratios, your speedometer may just be a tad bit off, but heck it might be more accurate since they typically read wrong anyway!

otherwise subaru auto trans have changed little in 20 years since the inception of the 4EAT.

Edited by grossgary

Thanks for the input! I believe that the transmission is actually alright. My guess it is the transfer case. I called few parts places and they told me that replacing just the transfer case is too much work, I am better off getting the thing as a whole with the tranny.

you will be replacing the transmission because:

A: there is no such thing as a Subaru transfer case

B: repairing the front diff isn't a good choice for most situations (cost, time, and difficulty)

you're "mechanic" friend should know or be able to tell that subaru's don't have a transfer case.

Subaru's do not have a transfer case. the transaxle is a transmission and differential assembled as a unit, no need for a transfer case.

sounds like your front diff is bad....but it would be helpful to tell us what's going on rather than talking about parts that don't exist:lol::lol: not trying to be mean, but realize you're not even trying to help yourself by answering simple questions and giving some input.

you're demanding, taking, and wanting stuff handed to you with zero effort. you are from new york so i suppose i wouldn't normally be surprised :lol:

Edited by grossgary