Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine load while switching on heat

It depends on the setting you're using. Only time it should have a "load" is when you use the defroster. Reason being is to keep the A/C compressor from getting siezed while not being used during the winter months. So the defroster kicks the compressor on and cycles it. Also helps pull moisture from inside the cabin as well.

It depends on the setting you're using. Only time it should have a "load" is when you use the defroster. Reason being is to keep the A/C compressor from getting siezed while not being used during the winter months. So the defroster kicks the compressor on and cycles it. Also helps pull moisture from inside the cabin as well.

it does this on any setting. i would expect it if i pressed the max/ac button but it does this in multi and heat.

When I first got my car, the A/C belt wasn't attached so the A/C wasn't working, and when I put it on "heat" the car would jump up to 2000 rpm at idle and stay there never going back to "normal" until I changed the setting. When I put the A/C belt on and the A/C started working, this behavior stopped. Now while idling, every few minutes the rpms jump up to 1300 or so, but that normal in older cars. My 1985 MR2 did this when it had A/C. I only had an issue when my A/C was not working.

I have been running my A/C during the winter for years. I hate foggy windows :) Just my 2 cents...

Edited by eulogious