Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Allright, I'm nearly through on this one.. I can see how to remove the drivers side cam seal and replace it and its associated "o" ring (looks like you remove the camshaft support 2-3 bolts). The passenger side has me stumped. The Chilton's is totally worthless. It says to remove the passenger side camshaft support, which I do not see on the front of the engine. It appears the passenger side camshaft seal is pressed directly into the head. Is this correct? I know you can get these seals out other ways (careful use of a screwdriver or pick), but is there a better way?

Any good auto parts store will have a seal remover.

I've found driving a small 1/8" screwdriver between the outter lip of the seal and the block will bend the seal out of shape and then you can pry it out with ease.

I do this at the top. If your careful, no damage is done to the block and since you are not on the camshaft no damage to the sealing surface.

Don't forget to pull the oil pump and locktite the backing plate screws and replace the o-ring.

just to be clear, there is a seal on the front passenger side, but the cap o-ring is on the rear of the head on the passenger side.

Yep.

And that part that porc showed is a tight fit to get back in there. Clean well and assembly lube and take your time. I've found it easier to install it using the 2 bolts a turn or two at a time each after aligned than trying to "work" the piece into almost fully seated then starting with the bolts.