Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet ANOTHER problem! Clutch? Bearing or cable?

Gyah! As soon as I fix something, another thing goes wrong!

Lessee, off the top of my head, what have I done recently.

Repacked rear wheel bearings

New shoes and cylinders on the rear brakes (Next time, disc upgrade)

New battery

New head gaskets

Valve regapping and stuffing around (x100!)

Interior work

New tyres

Fixed radiator

Replaced hoses

and the list goes on..

Now, when I take off quick, I hear a noise from somewhere underneath me, or from the back of the car, not sure. Sounds like metal on metal, I guess its clutch related.

It only occurs when going from standstill in first and as I release the clutch, the noise isnt heard much and as soon as its under load, it vanishes. Downshifting is silent as well.

Now, its too cold to go out there and have a look at this moment, what does it most likely sound like?

I am hoping that someone can eliminate bearing or clutch plate related noises.. I cannot fix this on my own and every single time I have had a mechanic work on my soob (all with good rep) they have screwed something up. :mad: Could a loose cable cause this? The clutch grabs as normal, acts as normal, it catches within 2-3 inches I guess

Recently, I found that the arm that holds the wheel bearing was loose, I had the wheel bearing replaced not too long ago, the idiot forgot to put a spring back in and I shredded the spline! Now, that loose arm caused slight wobble that cut through the spring in the castellated nut, that fell off as I was driving! :mad: *#$&$#@& MECHANICS!!

If this is a bearing, how much time could I expect to pay for to have the TO bearing, Pilot bearing and clutch plate replaced for?

I am about to drive from one end of Australia to the other, towing a 7x4 trailer full of all my valuable possessions, I really don't want a mechanical failure happening on the road.

Thanks for your help,

~Foxy :-\

Sounds like it's drivetrain related - nothing inside the bell-housing should be moving on take-off that doesn't also move when changing gears. I would be looking at drive axles and driveline's for a noise that only occurs on take-off like that.

For these older Subarus - pick your mechanic carefully. The best mechanic is YOU. Every time. Next best thing is a board member from here or one of the other Subaru forums that knows his stuff.

GD

check and make sure your motor mounts are good and the bolts are still tight in the cross member, and check both bolts on the torque brace?(The bar under the spare from the engine to the firewall) Also check that the bushings aren't broken in it too, Mine has busted bushings and causes a pop when I take off quick (I am fixing to replace it with a NICE adjustable moped strut) :lol: I will post pics when I get it done.