Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stalling/surging while cold

Hey all,

I have had my subaru parked for the past few years and just put it back on the road. It started up just fine and has run well. Last weekend I drove ~250 down to SF and the next morning when I started it up the computer light came on and the car just about stalled and had no bottom end power until it got alittle warm.

Symptoms:

1. this Only happens on start-up when cold
  2. stalls without some gas pedal, no cold high idle
  3. I have to flick the gas pedal to get it to climb in RPM
  4. stalls if gassed hard below 2000RPM
  5. computer light on
  6. computer light goes off and it works fine but flickers back on and almost stalls
  7. no low end power

I coded the engine and got:

• 11&14- crank angle sensor/circuit
  • 13- injector 1
  • 21- coolant Temp
  • 24- air control
  • 51- neutral switch (I always get this)

I was told this computer is questionable so perhaps it is just ************ing up. This idle thing is wierd and I can`t imagine what would cause it and these codes seem like a rat race.

My dear friends.... Ideas?

nate

87 SPFI d/r wagon 240K and getting 30mpg

start with the coolant temp sensor, if they short, they tell the computer something like -40 and if they open, they tell it like 250* or vice versa. If it is has a short or open in the sensor, it can lean the computer out, but while its cold, It should be enrichening the engine until its warmed up. I have experienced this with other cars in the past. I would get a Multimeter and check the OHM's to what the book says it should be when cold/hot.