Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My friend's 92 Leg overheating

OK, I've heard of the HG problem with the later Leg with the 2.5 but I'm not sure if this is one of them too.

He has a 2.2 AT with 220K on the odo. The Eng started to overheat this past Friday (10/16) and it was fine before. He pulled over and saw the coolant is overflowing from the reservoir. He was a way home so he kept driving and the temp. has spiked and then back down to normal serval times.

Yesterday when we drained the coolant we got less than a gal. Then we proceeded to change the WP, TB, and Themostate (all after-market). We idle it till the fan came on and there were no leaks so we took it for a drive. After a mile or 2 the thing got overheat again and after we hit home the reservoir is overflowing AGAIN!

When I touched the upper radiator hose (Eng to Rad.??) it was hot but the lower hose (Rad. to Eng) was cold. Also the Eng seems to sucking the water back and collapse the upper hose (After we turned off the Eng).

We are running out of clue so I would if you guys can shed some light for us! Thanks!!

It sounds like the radiator may need to be changed out. They plug up over time. You could also have a block check done to see if exhaust gases are getting into the coolant.

He got this one early summer from a wrack yard because his old one cracked. I will tell him to see if it's possible to get another one.

It does not sounds like a HG issue does it?

He got this one early summer from a wrack yard because his old one cracked. I will tell him to see if it's possible to get another one.

It does not sounds like a HG issue does it?

You stated that the reservoir was overflowing. There are only 3 things I can think of that would cause that to happen. The thermostat is closed shut, the radiator is plugged, or exhaust gases are getting into the coolant.