Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Air soft pellet tire balancing

Mugs

Ok first off please forgive my redundancy here. I did a search yesterday on air soft pellets for tire balancing. It gave a few specs but not all. It said that someone had come up with a spread sheet of the formulas on how many ounces to add per tire size.

The thread I read stated something like 3 ounces of .12 gram pellets for a 225/75/15 I have 235/75/15 studded snows, so I was thinking about maybe adding 1/4 ounce more or so. But I am a man of prescision and was wonder/wanting to find that spread sheet so I can make sure I am on target here.

I tried doing a search today but came up with nothing. I would really love to get a-hold of that spread sheet so I can print it out for future use.

thanks in advance...

And some body please get back to me before my tires are totally scrubbed/cupped/worn weird...becasue they are already starting to get that way.

Thanks,

I knew someone would come through. I think I will go with the "tire size" part of the chart because they are calulated for 4ply tires instead of c rated semi truck tires. I just made my 235/75/15 a 29 x 8.5 x 15 tire so 4 ounces should do the trick.

Going to put them in today and then get an alignment. But with my alignment I am going to bring 5 gallon bucket s of sand and place them in the key areas of the car (weighing the buckets first of course) to get the "respective" trail wieght. This will give me a more true and accurate alignment. Plus I am going to be there to watch...don't trust the guys...per-se.

Thanks again

If you are getting the plastic type airsoft bb's (I think all airsoft bb's are plastic?) I would say DO NOT use airsoft bb's. I poured them in my BFG All terrain 33x15x9.50's and sure at some speeds they were fine but at highway speeds they would unbalance. Plus, they disintegrated after a short time and turned to dust, and wore the inside of the tire slightly. I now don't like the idea of putting anything in my tires, and especially something like steel shot, I could see that really tearing up the inside of a tire. A competent tire shop should be able to balance those, they are only 29" tires!!! Don't even bother with the airsoft or you are going to regret it heavily!!!!!!!

Edited by 93Newbaru

A competent tire shop should be able to balance those, they are only 29" tires!!! Don't even bother with the airsoft or you are going to regret it heavily!!!!!!!

First off dude you need to realize who your talking to. Second I am not going to pay and did not pay 10-12 bucks a tire to have them mounted and balanced, only to have a lead weight get torn off on a rock or a root.

I got them mounted for free by a fellow mechanic freind who still has a job at a shop (did you get that...a fellow mechanic friend...and still has a job in this economy) and I can break the beads and re-set them myself. Or go over to a shop that might let me borrow there tire machine after hours. I have a digital scale that I use for weighing out all my gear (or the lack there of) for backpacking and can "balance" them myself. Whats' it gonna hurt...nothing, and am out only ten bucks for the big container of beeds, instead of 50-75 bucks. So I'll risk it...thanks.

If you are getting the plastic type airsoft bb's (I think all airsoft bb's are plastic?) I would say DO NOT use airsoft bb's. I poured them in my BFG All terrain 33x15x9.50's and sure at some speeds they were fine but at highway speeds they would unbalance. Plus, they disintegrated after a short time and turned to dust, and wore the inside of the tire slightly. I now don't like the idea of putting anything in my tires, and especially something like steel shot, I could see that really tearing up the inside of a tire. A competent tire shop should be able to balance those, they are only 29" tires!!! Don't even bother with the airsoft or you are going to regret it heavily!!!!!!!

So says the guy with 9 posts.

It's been tried by multiple people on here. They've had no problems, and the tires I've done it to are some of the smoothest riding sets I've ever had. It's a sound idea that's been exercised for a long time. Lead shot has been used even longer, and calcium before that.

This is a downright GREAT idea for an offroad tire. Like you said Mugs; why would anyone keep dealing with lead weights that get knocked off?

As long as you get the non-biodegradeable airsoft BBs, you'll be fine.

First off dude you need to realize who your talking to.

Huh?

So says the guy with 9 posts.

Yea, a post count is a perfect example of someones intelligence.:lol:

All I went with was my first experience with balancing beads. As soon as I posted, I immediately started researching the idea again. It looks like I had purchased some cheaper quality beads, I read that the ones with a ridge in the center will disintegrate or cause issues within the tire. I kept reading and it looked like everybody has had great experiences with the real beads or a better quality bead. I am still interested as to why my tires would become unbalanced at some highway speeds. Who knows, I might even try it again some day.

Does this clear my post up a little? Thanks

-Post #10

^

An uninformed, blanket, overly dramatic statement against a method proven useful by multitudes of people. Would you count that as a measure of inteligence? I would.

Maybe next time do the research BEFORE screaming it's a bad idea like a crackhead running from a trailer park, meth lab fire. That way you can start your double digit posts in style.

Edited by 3eyedwagon

Again, I was wrong. I normally browse my normal websites when I wake up and I noticed this post, thought of how much my situation sucked and how problem free I have been with wheel weights and posted. As soon as I posted I started reading about it, noticed that people really like it and it works with the right beads, and then I was going to delete the post but it wouldn't let me and I had to go to work so I said F it. I hardly ever post on any forum, I just read and try to gain knowledge. And I probably don't drive anywhere near as much as most people, and definitely not as much wheeling especially in a Subaru. I wish we had more people around here that were into them as much as a lot of you people, I think they are so damn cool.

All is forgiven...welcome aboard.

By the way the beads seem to be working great. I have not had the opportunity to take it on the highway yet but they used to sahke like mad at 35mph and now they are fine. And they are studded tires to top it off.

What I ment about knowing who you are talking too is...I am a suby mechanic and I felt as if you were talking to me as a kid on the block.

no harm, no foul.

AND since this is pretty much closed now due to the fact of the beads working fine at 35mph......lets keep the pissing contest to a minimum........please.

keep us updated when you do go on the highway..it will be interesting to know how well they perform in your vehicle.

cheers, brian

Ok so the tires work great. A slight shimmy but nothing like it was. Keep in mind, they are studded tires, I have blown struts all the way around, no stabalizer bar, and a 6in lift. So I am not complaining at all. Before the steering wheel would want to shake right out of my hand. but now I would say 99% improvement. Will see how it goes next spring when I install non studded 31's on it and have new struts up front and coil overs in the back. :lol: