Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej 2.2 with 2.5 heads and manifold

thermalsurfing1

i am getting ready to do the 2.2 swap in my 83 brat when my friend saw that the manifold looks different then his. the engine was just bought off craigslist and is a out of a 1999 Subaru Impreza and is a phase 2 2.2 with what we discovered has 2.5 heads and manifold :banana:. my question is has anyone heard of this being done ? if so did it work or add any horsepower ? thanks .. thermal

Edited by thermalsurfing1

well, the heads/intake have to match each other, as well as the wiring/ECU. so if you sent me 2.2 wiring, it won't work with that combo.

2.2 block with 2.5 heads would drop your compression. probably to something around 8.7-9.0:1. which means a drop in power, but perfect for a turbo.

now. doing the exact opposite (2.5 bottom end with 2.2 heads) bumps your compression up. means you have to run higher octane fuel to prevent DET, but the torque curve is pretty sweet.

Numbchux thanks for the reply. i should have researched the purchase a bit more before dropping 700 on the engine........ i have no idea what harness i have that came with the engine but is their a way to make it work ? do i need to sell the engine and buy another one ? darn it i did it again :mad: and i thought i scored but it looks like i messed up big time. dam dam dam

are you sure you have 2.5 heads and manifold? The phase 2 ej22 heads and manifold are virtually identical to the ej25 SOHC engines with one big difference. The 2.2 has single port exhaust.

i have a 2003 ej25 from a 2.5rs in my 99 impreza (original ej22 car). The intake manifolds are interchangeable and the heads have the same casting.

check the exhaust ports.

now that is an obd2 engine so swapping it is slightly more difficult. Also, if it is a 99 impreza it should have a MAF sensor. If you truly do have ej25 goods it should have a MAP sensor on it. ej22 does not.

i can not confirm nor deniy that i might have put phase 2 ej25 heads on a ej22 block in a 2.5rs when i when i found out that about half the head bolts holes were jacked up. and i needed to sell the thing. i drug it out to an auction to get rid of it.

but yes it can be done and really other then the power it was a sweet running motor. i used ej22 head gaskets and the combustion chamber on the head was smaller then the hole in the gasket so i went with it.

so yes it's been done, no there is no power benefit to it, it was just way cheaper for me to do it this way. although guys have been swapping DOHC heads onto ej22ts for years.

so what you are saying is you burned me for 700.00 ?

WTF?

i didn't sell you any motor.

my ordeal i talked about was in a car that i was selling. i sold it years ago.

i was just saying it has been done.

what the hell you talking about I burned you for $700?

i thought you where the same matt in portland that sold this to me.....just seemed odd that you have the same name and live in the same city and spoke of the same engine and with reply's like i know nothing and i can not confirm nor deniy that i might have put phase 2 ej25 heads on a ej22 block in a 2.5rs ..............my bad

Edited by thermalsurfing1