Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's this?

Yep - someone used red RTV instead of the factory grey. It is supposed to be that way although it does indicate they were liberal with the application and it for sure indicates your cam towers have been removed at some point along the line. That is usually only done if the head/head gaskets need replacement or the engine is being rebuilt.

GD

Yep - someone used red RTV instead of the factory grey. It is supposed to be that way although it does indicate they were liberal with the application and it for sure indicates your cam towers have been removed at some point along the line. That is usually only done if the head/head gaskets need replacement or the engine is being rebuilt.

GD

Good to know. Thanks.

I've only had the car for a couple months now and trying to get to know it inside and out.

I try for about 1/16" of squeeze out on my RTV applications. I notice that most folks go nuts with the stuff and it looks like a 4 year old with a caulking gun went off his Rittlin.

I guess a lot of people prescribe to the adage "more is better". I'm just paranoid about peices breaking off and getting jammed up in oil galley's and such. I have WAY too much attention to detail unless I've been drinking.... a lot.

GD