Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what can i get for this?

jg09

My GL-10. 1988, AWD, needs a new auto trans, 121k miles. Good condition body, sun damaged paint on roof, good interior, 13" gold Enkei wheels. Maroon in color. I'm gonna put a craigslist ad up as well as try and sell it to a buddy of mine who wants a project car like that. But with the tranny like it is, what do you guys think I could get for it? KBB says $1800 w/ a good transmission, but that seems steep, even if it was driveable.

$750 would be top dollar considering the issues it has I would say. If it's a turbo then possibly a little less. The EA82T's aren't highly regarded in the community.

Thing is - you can get a nicer, newer gen I Legacy for under $1000 any day of the week in running/driving condition. More power, better all-around car for the money.

It's also not going to be easy or cheap to replace that 4EAT transmission. They only made them for like 3 years. Although on the good side they aren't as prone to failure in the first place as thee earlier 3AT.

Just not a really desireable car being an EA82 and an automatic, etc. You would definately have to find *just* the right buyer to give you anything close to $750 for it. If you want it gone in less than a few months you'll have to take less than $500 for I would say.

You would do well to at least consider looking for a used tranny and putting it in. Might only cost $100 or so and could easily bump the value up to around $1000 - $1200 to someone that just needs reliable transportation. I don't think you'll entice that kind of money out of a Subaru enthusiast as they typically aren't looking for that model.

GD

Blown trans, EA82T, EA82 bodystyle..... $200 in my area, But they are everywhere here. If it had a good tranny and was in A++ condition, $1800 would be the highest price anyone would probably pay. I would say put some junkyard steels on it and keep the Enkies and try to get over $500 for it if you can, but that will be hard with a blown auto trans....

-Bill

i have hook ups in the auto repair industry and i can get all my labor done for free by an ASE certified mechanic, so i probably will just go and get a transmission and have it installed for free. I forgot about my connections I now have available. And after that, probably sell it anyways and just get an Impreza