Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wagon Draining Batteries.

Zack here's a place to start to isolate the circuit thats flattening the battery .

Discounect the ground cable and put a 12 volt test lamp between the battery and the ground cable . ANY current draw that amounts to anything will light it . Make sure EVERYTHING is turned off ... remember the door switch will show current flow and the lamp will light up so tape the switch closed or hold it in if you are working with the door open . Pull fuses until the light goes out , your problem is in that circuit . Then sift your way through it until you isolate where the draw is at. If someone has the wiring diagram it will be easier to trace , but you can do it without , unless you have some really weird rump roast problem . It cant be a dead short or you would blow fuses or smoke a wiring harness . Sounds like something is staying on .

You say its gutted so I dont know how much is left on the car . Trunk light staying on when shut , glove box lamp ? The alternator can draw too if its got a bad regulator , even though its charging OK . An '85 has a minimum of electronics in it so it shouldnt be too hard to isolate the problem .

Are you certain the battery is good and fully charged..... a weak battery can give the same no start symtoms after sitting awhile

Bob

Its weird... I'm thinking it might be the alternator... cause its fluctuates a lot- from 12.5 to 14.5 depending on how it feels... I'm gonna replace it and Clean up the connections... Least I got the TOD to go away (mostly) New/Used oil pump. I'm gonna clean up all the terminals, And Clip and pull replace the alternator connections.

Its weird... I'm thinking it might be the alternator... cause its fluctuates a lot- from 12.5 to 14.5 depending on how it feels... I'm gonna replace it and Clean up the connections... Least I got the TOD to go away (mostly) New/Used oil pump. I'm gonna clean up all the terminals, And Clip and pull replace the alternator connections.

There's your problem. When my alt. started doing that & hitting 14.5 - kerblooey! Fried some electrical things in the process too...like my headlights.

First disconnect the wiring to the alt using the 12V testlight trick and see if thats the draw on the battery . If it is , then you know you've solved that particular problem , and a different alternator will cure all your ills . The battery draw AND weird fluctuating charge rate .

you may have a couple of problems .