Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finally.........

Got the Hitachi working. Actually used the top part of the one I just purchased in the junkyard and the bottom of my old crummy one. My crummy one had a no bueno choke and a stuck valve on top....so I combined the top of the junkyard one (tried everything I could do to get the entire junkyard carb to work but appears it may need to be rebuilt, even though it looked like new). So now I throw in the combined carb, tune it, and she runs way better. Just have a vacuum leak somewhere as there is a high pitched squeal. Gonna try to fix that in the morning.

Where and what exactly does the egr look like? How do I know if its the egr thats acting up? Do you suggest I replace mine? I was able to spray carb cleaner behind the motor and the motor instantly sped up. It was too dark out at this point to find the exact hose but I'll look again this morning.

Edited by Pennies Earned

So I forgot to put on the two bolts that hold the airbox solid. Put those on and the sound decreased somewhat. Its not so much of a squeal as it is a whistle. Sounds like its coming directly behind the carb. I was able to tune the carb today perfectly. Drove it all day. Even chirped them in 3rd which I think was a fluke, not exactly sure how that one happened. But then later on, when I put it in neutral it dies. Should I replace all the hoses behind the carb or is the egr behind the carb and possibly the issue. When I spray the carb cleaner back there the motor speeds up. Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I swear when I'm done with this thing I'm gonna be an expert. I've already learned a lot. Thanks

You have a ways to go before you are the resident Hitachi expert. I *might* currently hold that title but then I don't want to step forward and proclaim myself some kind of wizard that will be able to solve everyone's Hitachi problems over private message :rolleyes:. The damn things are best left for the trash compactor. They can be made to run alright, but they are SLOW. The vacuum secondary kills the deal for me and the fact that there is no good way to control the air supplies to the metering ports without a bunch of thermo-vacuum valves and crap..... I digress.

The EGR is the canister looking thing with the vacuum nipple on it behind the carb. You may indeed have a leak there. Remove the EGR and clean it - make sure that no air can pass from the exhaust side to the intake side of the valve. Then just reinstall it and disconnect the line to it to insure that it's not going to open and cause you an issue.

GD

I *might* currently hold that title
If someone knows more about the Hitachi carb than you do, they aren't sharing that expertise. So unless someone else shows an equal generousity with their time and knowledge I think you can safely say you are an/the expert.

Yeah - I suppose so. "resident" is the key word. There's someone, somewhere, that designed the things for a living. I have endevoured to at least understand what's going on inside one as well as the feedback systems used on them..... in the end the conclusion I came to was there is just no good way, short of redesigning the linkage completely, to eliminate the vacuum secondary. Couple that with the small size of the bore's and the availibility of inexpensive Weber's (often cheaper than a commercially rebuilt Hitachi)..... and with a bit of work and a little imagination you could hide a Weber under the stock airbox. Tuned properly they can easily pass any emissions test. I am 100% confident I could take one through CA emissions and they would never know :)

GD