Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finding the Model of my Soobie

I know this is a silly question, but I have conflicting information.

I bought the car a couple of weeks ago and it was listed as an L Series 4WD Wagon, and that's what it says on the engine plate - "Subaru L" - however the registration papers state that it's a Leone. I thought that maybe L was just short for Leone, or covered a range such as Leone and Loyale, so didn't worry about it.

But when I tried to get insurance the other day, according to the insurance agencies I tried, no 4WD Wagon model exists for the Leone. The only ones I can find that match the rest of my car are the DL and GL models.

So, I would like to know exactly what model my car is. The information I know - 1988, EA82 engine with carburetor, 5sp manual with 4wd.

And here are some photos to help:
One
Two
Three

Thanks.

Edited by Az Flux

They didn't ask for the VIN? I have always just given the VIN to them, and then they pull up the info for the car and all is well... Did this less than a month ago, but I live in the states, so our processes are different and such. I believe there really is no difference between the DL, GL, Loyale, and Leone except for options. I am pretty sure the Leone was also available in 4wd. I also believe that the Leone was only available in NZ, and AUS. If that is the case you have a Leone. The only other options was that it was imported from the states or something, so naturally it would be different and you could have a DL or GL. Don't know if that helps you are not, but it's all I got ;)

OK here are a few things..what year is it?

is it D/R 4WD or Single range 4WD

power windows and door locks or cranks?

does the dash have a tach?

It looks to be a GL ..since the DLs are basically stripped down..no options. It also has the single headlights ..where DLs have the quad. I find that to be a very beautiful car BTW.

Edited by Bucky92

They didn't ask for the VIN? I have always just given the VIN to them, and then they pull up the info for the car and all is well... Did this less than a month ago, but I live in the states, so our processes are different and such. I believe there really is no difference between the DL, GL, Loyale, and Leone except for options. I am pretty sure the Leone was also available in 4wd. I also believe that the Leone was only available in NZ, and AUS. If that is the case you have a Leone. The only other options was that it was imported from the states or something, so naturally it would be different and you could have a DL or GL. Don't know if that helps you are not, but it's all I got ;)

Well, even though you can't see the steering wheel, his wipers are opposite ours, so it is an overseas car. Can't be from the states, with RHD.

Good catch ;)

you could have just looked at were he's from "australia"

yes every thing over here for the L series is different, i havent insured one but i pressume its like going to a parts store an seeing there listings. (1800/leone/dl/gl) the guys in part stores would scratch there head all the time when i had my rx.

use which ever of the two you want dl or gl, or find which options you have and make a good guess.

you could have just looked at were he's from "australia"

yes every thing over here for the L series is different, i havent insured one but i pressume its like going to a parts store an seeing there listings. (1800/leone/dl/gl) the guys in part stores would scratch there head all the time when i had my rx.

use which ever of the two you want dl or gl, or find which options you have and make a good guess.

Yes, one could, but we aren't talking about the person... the car could be from overseas, even down there(I think). I know the Brits get bot RHD and LHD vehicles.

eulogious: It was already registered when I bought it, all I had to do was transfer it into my name. Every time I've registered a car, I've just taken in the papers, with all the vehicle info on them, and renewed it. I don't know what happens when you register it for the first time but they probably do use the VIN. And it's right-hand drive, so wasn't imported from the states. Thanks.

Bucky92:
- December, 1988.
- Duel Range 4WD
- No power windows or locks.
- No tach

And thanks. I'm very happy with the looks too. I saw it on eBay, and when I went down for an inspection it actually looked better than their pictures, which is quite rare I think.

shuff: I would just guess but I don't want to get the wrong one and the insurance agency find some loophole and not pay. It's only 3rd party, so it's not as important as with comprehensive. But I just don't trust insurance places.

Speedwagon: The only LHD imports we have are flashy or classic cars. I imagine Britain gets both because they're so close to other countries that have RHD, like France.

Edited by Az Flux

eulogious: It was already registered when I bought it, all I had to do was transfer it into my name. Every time I've registered a car, I've just taken in the papers, with all the vehicle info on them, and renewed it. I don't know what happens when you register it for the first time but they probably do use the VIN. And it's right-hand drive, so wasn't imported from the states. Thanks.

I wasn't referring to when it was registered, I was referring to when you went to get insurance. Every car that I have had insurance for, when I sign up for a policy, the first thing they ask for is the VIN, to verify that I am not lying about the type of car. I have had this same procedure done with 4 different insurance companies and 5 different vehicles over the last 4 years. I just give them my VIN for the vehicle, and then they pull up my vehicle's info, I verify it, and then they send me a card with all my vehicle's info on the card. That's why I am surprised they didn't ask for the VIN to verify the car. The VIN can't lie about the car ;) Maybe try calling the insurance back up and asking if they can run the VIN of the car to verify what car it is? Just a thought, I don't live over there so thing might be different...

I wasn't referring to when it was registered, I was referring to when you went to get insurance. Every car that I have had insurance for, when I sign up for a policy, the first thing they ask for is the VIN, to verify that I am not lying about the type of car. I have had this same procedure done with 4 different insurance companies and 5 different vehicles over the last 4 years. I just give them my VIN for the vehicle, and then they pull up my vehicle's info, I verify it, and then they send me a card with all my vehicle's info on the card. That's why I am surprised they didn't ask for the VIN to verify the car. The VIN can't lie about the car ;) Maybe try calling the insurance back up and asking if they can run the VIN of the car to verify what car it is? Just a thought, I don't live over there so thing might be different...

Ah, that's a good idea. I was just looking up quotes online, trying to find a better price then what I had before. None of them asked for a VIN but I'm sure they'll take one if I ring up. Thank you.

Ah, that's a good idea. I was just looking up quotes online, trying to find a better price then what I had before. None of them asked for a VIN but I'm sure they'll take one if I ring up. Thank you.

No problem, I hope you get it all worked out and find a better deal on your insurance!