Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Subaru Help

92_rugby_subie

So Ive been on here before, when I wasnt sure if I was going to get my 1992 Subaru Loyale and keep it, or trade it for a Toyota with less miles.

IVE DECIDED TO KEEP THE SUBIE! SHES A GREAT CAR!

My questions:

I need a new transmission and will be looking for a used one on Craigslist. What transmission will fit (hopefully easily) to the current engine? (As in which other year/model of subaru can I tear apart to find one?)

Recently, I saw a guy put a WRX engine inside of his Loyale wagon. Obviously he replaced the brakes, transmission and suspension, but what would be necessary to put a WRX or 2.5RS engine in my subaru and how much would this cost(using secondhand parts)?

MY CAR:

Baby Blue

Loyale Wagon FWD (with pushbutton 4WD)

5 Speed Manual

294XXX miles (all on stock engine and transmission)

Shes not the nicest of all Subaru's but hey, she was free and her "sister" has 684k miles and is doing just fine :)

I'm going to save everyone else the trouble of yelling at you for not using the search function: USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! :)

Seriously...spend a few minutes searching the forums, and you'll find more information than you can handle on putting an EJ into an EA body.

Where is beaverton? I have an extra dual-range 5 speed sitting in my garage I'm not using, if you want it.

I have a good used 5 speed PB tranny. Came from a Loyale that I put a dual-range into so there's nothing at all wrong with it.

$75 and it's yours. I'm in West Linn - about 15 minutes from Beaverton. (u-pull-it cost is $150 around here).

Flip me an extra $100 and I'll even install it :)

If you are looking to do a WRX swap, you should find a mint condition GL to start with. No reason the least expensive part of the project (the EA82 vehicle) should be a jalopy with near 300k on it.....

As far as cost - you will need a complete front clip. A front clip from a wrecked WRX usually runs anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000 depending on what it is and condition.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder