Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High preasure oil leak?

I have an 87 GL Wagon with a EA82. Ometimes when I start the car it has no oil preasure and will start to ping. If I rev up the engine, the preasure gauge will move up to where it should be and stop pinging. It will idle without driping, but if I drive it a couple blocks and then look under the hood I can see oil flung all over the front of the engine and oil driping under the car. If i rev up the engine, the oil starts to run out from somewhere, then disipates after it goes back to idle. I think it is an oil pump seal but wanted to double check with you guys.

Thanks, Chaz

Most likely it's the front main seal then. That would throw a lot of oil - I've had them go out before.

I sugest you just do a complete timing belt/water pump/front seal job on it. The kit's are gonzo cheap off ebay and it would be silly not to do everything while you are in there. Pull the oil pump as well and inspect it for damage - get a seal kit from the dealer.... sounds like you have a bit of lifter tick mixed in there as well so better safe on the pump and pump seals.

When you do the water pump, also do the heater core bypass hose. It's a major biotch to get at if you have to change it later.

GD

Okay, thank you sir. I made a stupid agreement with my wife that if I did'nt have it repaired by the time we moved, that I would just get rid of it. When I said that I had two months before we moved, now I am down to a week and a half and am starting to freak out as I have no intention of getting rid of my car. I only need it to drive three hours, then I'm going to do an EJ22 swap in the next couple months. I just don't have much time to work on it before we go. I will do my best, thanks again.

Chaz

P.S. Yeah I know it was stupid, I made that agreement in the middle of an argument.

yes, I have done them on my GL-10 Turbo, i couldnt figure it out, so took it to a mechanic who specialized in Subaru, Toyota & Nissan. He had it for a month and finally called me and said he did'nt know why it would'nt start. So I read the chiltons again and realized that i was turning the engine over 360 deg. instead of 180 deg. between belts, started right up. :-\

The covers are off permanantly, I have a splash guard underneath to keep junk out. It saves time in changing belts, which I do every 2 years. Plus i Keep a set in the car just in case.

Hmm, i could check the sender, but I don't see any fresh oil on it.

I took off the oil pump and the mickey mouse gasket was split and mangled in 1 spot, it looks like the only reason it had not leaked before was because of the thin bead of rtv silicone it was installed with. I put new seals in and reinstalled the pump. I ran out of light tonight but plan on puting the crank pulley and timing belts on in the morning.

Well, its not the pump gasket, or at least not entirely. As it turns out my older brother owned this engine and put the oil pump on with a used crushed gasket that he had pulled off another car and filled the gap with silicone. :mad: Any way I changed that hoping it was the prob. It appears that was not the problem, next stop, main seal, which should be fairly quick and simple I think. Just remove crank pulley and belt, pull it carefully and tap new one in with socket.

Is there anything else obviouse that is could be? It is not sending unit either.

Thank you.

Okay,

The new main seal will be here tomorrow, so i tore the engine down to that point again. When I took the two sprokets off the crank, they were dry with no fresh oil and it does not look like it is leaking, directly under it though is the oil pump sprocket and the block around it has no grease just fresh oil. I am going to take the oil pump back off as I have found that I also have an oil pump shaft seal, it looks just like a main seal only smaller.

WOO HOO!!

The oil pump shaft had no signs of wear, but that shaft seal was so loose i pulled it out with my fingers and it was hard as a rock. I know that the Mickey Mouse seal was leaking some since it was smashed flat and torn in one section and the shaft seal was leakingeven more. I did put it back together and drove it easy and no leaks, so i drove it hard for a couple miles and still no leakes. The crank shaft seal is still soft and plyable, so i'll just put it in the back with my spare timing belts.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.