Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBS rattle/clang/annoying sound

The only reason it would be or should be chatter is if you're riding the clutch way too much.

Here's a thought... are you sure the disc was installed correctly? They are directional. Glazing around the edge seems a bit odd unless the clutch is just not making full contact with the flywheel and/or pressure plate.

Which previous clutch was slipping? Was it the one before the Autozone replacement or was it the Autozone one?

The one before the autozone one was slipping. After taking a drive with my buddy martimus, we think the latest thumping noise might be carriage bearing related. The rattle? not sure. The rattle was tolerable, but a bad thumping is pretty scary. I read a thread about how someone had bad thumping at low speeds and it turned out to be the carriage bearing. Anyone know if carriage bearings are car specific? Or can I steal one from the row of legacy's at the junkyard?

The one before the autozone one was slipping. After taking a drive with my buddy martimus, we think the latest thumping noise might be carriage bearing related. The rattle? not sure. The rattle was tolerable, but a bad thumping is pretty scary. I read a thread about how someone had bad thumping at low speeds and it turned out to be the carriage bearing. Anyone know if carriage bearings are car specific? Or can I steal one from the row of legacy's at the junkyard?

My AHA moment.

Blu has been making this noice that I cant trace, like a thump thump. Not all the time, more likely when cold or on a turn and accelerating. It is a hollow thump, almost like when you drive over a black tar spot on the seam of a road.

Snag two of them :)

nipper

Yeah there's a good chance that's it. I was thinking that might have been the cause of the noise earlier, which is why I was trying to get you to find out if it was wheel speed related by getting the car in the air and "driving".

Unforunately I think you had already pulled the engine before I got that message posted.

Oh and you won't be able to "see" much without dropping the exhaust system and removing the heat shields.

But you should be able to get a good enough view of the drive shaft to see if it there is excessive movement if you grab it and push/pull it around.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Well... This is just awesome. The clunking went away, but thats because the UV joint snapped while my wife was getting off the freeway on her way to class this morning. Im going to pick it up with a trailer later today and should have better pics but these will have to suffice. Anyone know of driveshafts from other cars that are the same length? I don't want to drop a ton of money on a new one, I would rather sell the car, haha.

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

Sorry if the quality isn't great, I only had my phone.

At least you got a new clutch out of the deal! :eek:

Junkyard should work great. This is an Impreza right? (OBS is Outback Sport isn't it?)

Pretty much any AWD Impreza with a manual transmission from 92 to 98 should work.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/us_g10/type_8/train/propeller_shaft/

Click any of the part numbers next to number 3: Propeller Shaft assembly.

On the next page, click the link for Usage information under the American model.

Yup, new clutch for sure. and Exedy at that. I think the driveshaft decided to mangle the shifter linkages as well because when I was getting ready to put it on the trailer last night it was REALLY sloppy and was very difficult to find gears. Haven't worked on it any yet due to my cold/flu. Hope to get it up on jack stands and at least pull the front part of the shaft off (leave the rear part adn carrier bearing up there). Its convenient where it broke since I can leave that little stub inside the end of the trans to hold the fluid in. Fun stuff, when I get it off I will have better pictures of the damage. Im going to mount this driveshaft on my garage wall as a trophy. :) Oh and yes it is an impreza outback sport. No real bad problems until this last month.

The shifter bushings might have gotten thrashed and trashed when it broke. Looks like the boot around the selector rod is torn in the pic. The bushings are cheap from a dealer, the boot you might as well get from a junk yard. You'll be right in that area getting the drive shaft out so it shouldn't be too difficult to yank that out at the same time.

The shifter bushings might have gotten thrashed and trashed when it broke. Looks like the boot around the selector rod is torn in the pic. The bushings are cheap from a dealer, the boot you might as well get from a junk yard. You'll be right in that area getting the drive shaft out so it shouldn't be too difficult to yank that out at the same time.

Also check that rear transmission mount.

nipper

Got my driveshaft figured out. Legacy at the junkyard and took 2.5" off the back section. Cut, welded, and balanced for $10, my cousin is a pretty awesome guy. I am having a hard time finding proper O2 sensors tho. NO ONE carries a proper one. It's the plugs that are getting to me. On my car the back one is a square plug but ones at autozone and other online places show triangles for the rear. OR they are the wrong plug and it won't fit. Subaru dealer wants $150+ for one and they will have to order it. Anyone know a harm in getting the one from autozone and wiring my old plug to it so it fits? I know the wire length is supposed to be pretty exact.

Got my driveshaft figured out. Legacy at the junkyard and took 2.5" off the back section. Cut, welded, and balanced for $10, my cousin is a pretty awesome guy. I am having a hard time finding proper O2 sensors tho. NO ONE carries a proper one. It's the plugs that are getting to me. On my car the back one is a square plug but ones at autozone and other online places show triangles for the rear. OR they are the wrong plug and it won't fit. Subaru dealer wants $150+ for one and they will have to order it. Anyone know a harm in getting the one from autozone and wiring my old plug to it so it fits? I know the wire length is supposed to be pretty exact.

Whay are you having problems? Its just a generic O2 sensor, a universal kit.

I never had a problem finding them. Look for a universal fit O2 for the rear. You will have to trim and assemble connector yourself (hence the universal) but it works fine.

nipper

Stellar, I was getting told by lots of people that the universal style ones never worked as good and blah blah blah. Thats what I get for looking for my info someplace other than USMB :rolleyes:

if it was the front O2 sensor, yes they are correct. For the rear it can be anything.