Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter clicks 2-8 times, then starts

Have a 98 OBW. Starter has been acting weird... First time I thought it was the battery, but everything else had good juice and it started right up when I tried again. Sometimes it starts right off the bat, sometimes I have try several times... When it doesn't start, it just clicks like it would for bad battery. Is the starter the first thing I look into replacing?

If it's just a loud click and nothing else, it's a bad starter... the solenoid is clicking in when it gets power, but the motor isn't turning. Pretty common failure on the old EA81's (at least three of them I've owned, around 200k miles). You can rebuild the starter, but I usually just replace it since it's only $25 for a used one. New ones are around $120ish I think.

Z

If it's just a loud click and nothing else, it's a bad starter... the solenoid is clicking in when it gets power, but the motor isn't turning. Pretty common failure on the old EA81's (at least three of them I've owned, around 200k miles). You can rebuild the starter, but I usually just replace it since it's only $25 for a used one. New ones are around $120ish I think.

Z

It is just a loud click then nothing... then try several more times and it eventually works... but seems to be getting worse. I'll replace the starter and see what happens. Thanks!

It's probably the starter solenoid contacts. They are a couple bucks and can be replaced. There's several threads, please try searching and if you can't find anything, let us know.

I stopped by my local suby dealer and they said one had to buy the entire starter and that I couldn't get the contacts by themselves. Any part number I should reference or any other place I should look for them?

I stopped by my local suby dealer and they said one had to buy the entire starter and that I couldn't get the contacts by themselves.

Sounds like a scam. I got mine online from Jason at Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn WA, 866-528-5282.

You might try an auto electric shop (starter/alternator rebuilders) in your area. Or even Toyota--I believe they used the same starter awhile back.

Suggest you take your starter out, remove the contacts and carry them with you so you can make a visual confirmation. There were at least 3 different configurations when I was shopping.

Good luck.

Sounds like a scam. I got mine online from Jason at Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn WA, 866-528-5282.

You might try an auto electric shop (starter/alternator rebuilders) in your area. Or even Toyota--I believe they used the same starter awhile back.

Suggest you take your starter out, remove the contacts and carry them with you so you can make a visual confirmation. There were at least 3 different configurations when I was shopping.

Good luck.

Thanks Olnick... I checked out a local rebuild shop and they sold them to me for $15... which seemed high, but the other place I checked only had a kit for $45 and then the dealer didnt have them. I swapped them out earlier and the old ones were worn half to 3/4 of the way down... Not sure how far down they can go, but I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help! I'll have to call your dealer and get the part number to "inform" my dealer that they are available.

• 1 month later...

I did this repair as well - just replaced the two solenoid contacts.

For those of you looking for the part/links:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

You need an A and a B for Subaru Outback (mine is 98). 5 bucks each.

http://www.repairkitsuk.com

This guy from UK sells the plunger too - I don't think you need it - just the two contacts.

I stopped by my local suby dealer and they said one had to buy the entire starter and that I couldn't get the contacts by themselves. Any part number I should reference or any other place I should look for them?

That is the exact response I expect from any Midwest Subaru dealer. Good thing for this board to get the correct answers.

It does no good for you to go back to the dealer to inform them. That is not what they are there for.

Refer to this board for the answers, not your dealer, that applies to the midwest subaru dealers. West coast subaru dealers are very helpful.

Edited by bheinen74